[Nfbf-l] GW Micro and Microsoft partnered to make Window-Eyes available to users of Microsoft Office at no cost

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 15 16:40:58 UTC 2014

January 14, 2014

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Fort Wayne, Indiana (January 14, 2014) - GW Micro, Inc. (www.gwmicro.com) is
proud to make a revolutionary announcement. GW Micro and Microsoft Corp.
have partnered to make Window-Eyes available to users of Microsoft Office at
no cost. Window-Eyes is a screen reader that enables people who are blind,
visually impaired, or print disabled to have full access to Windows PCs and
makes the computer accessible via speech and/or Braille.

To better deliver Window-Eyes to the people who need it most, GW Micro and
Microsoft have collaborated on this global initiative, available in over 15
languages, to enable anyone using Microsoft Office 2010 or later to also use
Window-Eyes for free.  Access to technology is critical to people who are
blind or visually impaired in order to have the same opportunity to compete
in the workplace. As such, this initiative between GW Micro and Microsoft
has the potential to reduce barriers for millions of people who are blind or
visually impaired around the world.

As the population ages, technologies like Window-Eyes will become more and
more important as the number of people with age-related macular degeneration
and other retinal degenerative diseases increases. "This significant change
in the way we are doing business reflects the changing perception of
accessibility and also technology in general.  Rather than wait for the
world to change, Microsoft and GW Micro are leading the way," said Dan
Weirich, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for GW Micro.  Weirich
believes this technology can help millions of people gain access to their
PC, and that providing it free of charge will open a whole new world of
assistive technology to many people.

In light of the rapidly changing face of technology and specifically, the
changing face of assistive technology, the combined efforts of GW Micro and
Microsoft have the goal of providing accessibility to people who are blind
and visually impaired for the long term.

Microsoft continues to take accessibility seriously.  "By partnering with GW
Micro in this endeavor we are demonstrating Microsoft's ongoing commitment
to provide all of our customers with the technology and tools to help each
person be productive in both their work and personal lives." said Rob
Sinclair, Chief Accessibility Officer for Microsoft.

Eligible customers, using Microsoft Office 2010 or higher, will be able to
download a full version of Window-Eyes starting today at
www.WindowEyesForOffice.com.  The website provides download instructions as
well as additional details about this offer.

GW Micro, Inc. (www.gwmicro.com) has been a trusted pioneer in the adaptive
technology industry since 1990, and continues to lead with innovative,
customer driven solutions.

Contact:
Dan Weirich, VP of Sales and Marketing
dan at gwmicro.com
(260) 489-3671

- - - -
With Best Regards,
God Bless,
Alan
Plantation, Florida
Visit the hottest, most happening place around on the web. Where the blind
community will be inspired and entertained!
It's the BlindCafe.net and it's a great place to learn, laugh, chat and make
long lasting friendships with people from around the world.
There is always someone to greet you with a friendly smile night and day. It's
totally free! Come and try out our awesome stereo    music rooms, trivia
games, Chess Chats, Act in one of our Mystery Plays, Share your talent with
us, receive I-Phone Lessons and updates, we offer     tutorials on an array
of programs, we have over 600 described movies for you to listen to at your
convenience, Revisit a classic described T V show such as Leave it to
Beaver, Mash, Alf, Andy Griffith, Bonanza, Brady Bunch, dragnet,  Gilligan's
Island, Green Acres, Jefferson's, Little House on the Prairie, The Munsters,
W.K.R.P in Cincinnati, The Walton's    and many more television programs!
Or just come on in anytime 24 / 7 and join us for an interactive chat and a
whole lot more!
It's completely free, totally accessible and easy to use.
For more info, please Visit us at
www.BlindCafe.net
That's
www.BlindCafe.net
It's the site where our members matter the most!