[Nfbf-l] Washington Seminar 2014 memories

Denise Valkema valkemadenise at aol.com
Fri Jan 31 15:53:28 UTC 2014

We had four teams at Washington seminar. I was the leader for the South Florida team. Leonardo Banes and Tekesha Saffold were a part of this team. We worked well together and all went smoothly. Tekesha presented the TEACH act which was best for her as a student and scholarship winner. Leonardo presented the Air carrier access act and I spoke on the Fair a Wages act.

We met with my congressman, Joe Garcia, and Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen. She gave us Cuban coffee, took time to know us personally, and took a photo with us. We did not meet with Tekesha's congressman, Alcee Hastings personally but three staffers. He had already signed on to fair wages and HR 164. I will let Tekesha share more. We met with staff in CongressmanDeutch's office who was glad to meet constituent Leonardo. He can chime in. We met with staff in offices of Diaz-Balart, Lois Frankel, and Murphy. We dropped off a packet to the offices of Schultz, Rooney, and Wilson.

We had the great gathering in from 5:00pm-7:30pm where national gave us updates, heard from guest congressman,and  given facts on issues we were bringing to members on the hill. We met in Preaident Hicks room to cover logistics including making sure appointments were covered. Tuesday, the South Florida team left hotel at 8:30 and returned around 4:30, and we had another gathering in at 6pm. We had dinner with most that came from Florida and shared how well things went. Wednesday, south Florida team left hotel at 9:00 and returned around 12:30pm. We had to prepare to fly home.

It was cold and hotel was behind on renovations so we had challenges to overcome but we handled it. Some had to reschedule flights due to weather on the return home.

We have a state legislative committee and like each chapter to be represented so information can be shared and accomplished in each chapter. These meetings will be announced to leaders and if you are interested, let your president know. The work has just begun.

The central team was Sherri Brun and Cindy Bishop. North Florida team was Lenora Marten, Johnnie Slaton, and Denyece Roberts. The West team was Gloria and Dan Hicks, Miranda Kilby, and Paul Martinez. Go Florida! You made this 2014 Washington Seminar the best! Feel free to share your experiences.

Sincerely, Denise Valkema
NFBF Legislative Chairperson by iPhone