[Nfbf-l] New talking thermometer and safety aid

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 7 17:13:56 UTC 2014

Dear Friends,
I am passing this along as I thought this very interesting, and think some
might be in need of such an item.
With Best Regards,
God Bless,
Alan
Plantation, Florida

- - -

New talking thermometer and safety aid
In brief, the Talking Infrared Thermometer (model IRT-1) can measure the
temperature of a wide variety of objects without contact, and has a special
scan function to help a blind person quickly locate hot items, such as a
burner on a flat cook top stove, or to ensure a pot or pan is centered over
said burner.  My motive for developing the IRT-1 came from a blind friend
who was badly burned while teaching a newly blind student to cook.  Had
there been the means to easily determine the cooking oil temperature the
accident could most probably been prevented.  The IRT-1 of course can be
used to measure the temperature of many other things as well; the
refrigerator or freezer, coffee, bath water, food temperature, etc etc.  The
IRT-1 with only 3 buttons is super easy to learn and use and has a built in
talking tutor!  And finally, the IRT-1 can be set to speak in English,
Spanish or French and to say the temperature in Centigrade or Fahrenheit
too.  For much more detailed information, a user manual, speech samples and
images please visit my web site:
brooks-technology.com

About myself and my company:  I'm located in Morgan Hill, California, about
30 minutes south of the so called Silicon Valley area.  I've been an
electronics engineer and programmer for many years, the last 20 as a design
consultant to other organizations.  I love to get involved developing new
products!!  Over the last 6 years I've worked with James Kubel of Access
Solutions in Sacramento, California on several projects, including the
PumpMate, a talking remote control that provides access for insulin pump
users.  Recently I've decided to develop accessibility products to market as
my own, the first being the IRT-1 Talking Infrared Thermometer.

The thermometer is now available, I've completed an initial production run.
Price is set at $119.95 and currently can be purchased directly from my site
at
http://www.brooks-technology.com
I'm actively seeking re-sellers, for which discounts would apply.  Both the
Sacramento Society for the blind and the Lighthouse have indicated they will
carry it.

If you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to call me at
408-781-4577, or by return email if you wish.  In addition I'd be happy to
send you a device for evaluation.

Thank you!

Phil Brooks
Brooks Technology