[Nfbf-l] US Blind Chess Championship Tournament Mentioned in the USABA Weekly Newsletter

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 14 00:44:56 UTC 2014

Dear Fellow USBCA Members, and List Members, and Others,
The USABA is the United States Association of Blind Athletes, and they put
out a weekly Newsletter each Friday which you can subscribe to.
Last week, and the previous week I am very happy to tell you, that they have
put a notice about the U S 2014 Over The Board  Blind Chess Championship
Tournament in this Newsletter.
This is good!
This is Very Good!
As  a lot of folks who receive this newsletter will read the notice about
the 2014 U S Blind Chess Tournament and then know:
"Yes, Blind People Can, and Do Play Chess!"
Also, since the USABA is a Sports Organization, we finally get folks to
recognize what I have been saying for so long, that:
"Is chess a sport?
We must conclude that it is.
For chess involves athleticism to the precise extent that stamina to
concentrate for long periods of time is enhanced by physical training, since
this ability (to concentrate for long periods) is vital to being a good
chess player.
 Indeed, then, chess is a sport!

My Thanks to our USBCA President,  Albert Pietrolungo, for sending the
notice about the US Blind Chess Championship   Tournament to the USABA
Newsletter Editor.
Here is the newsletter below.
You can subscribe if you like, the subscribe information is in the
newsletter.
With Best Regards,
God Bless
Alan
Plantation, Florida
Alan Dicey, Vice President
"Yes, Blind and Visually Impaired People, Can, and Do, Play Chess!"
United States Braille Chess Association Home Page:
 http://AmericanBlindChess.org

USABA News and Notes from the Week June 13, 2014
Follow USABA on Facebook & Twitter

USABA to Host National Adaptive Sports Conference
USABA is pleased to host a National Adaptive Sports Conference, September
15-18, 2014, in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Attendees will gain hands-on
experience in six Paralympic sports for the blind and visually impaired. All
VA staff and community level adaptive sports professionals, who work with
Veterans and service members who are blind and visually impaired, are
welcome to apply. Click here to apply by July 18. Contact Joyana Jensen with
questions at jjensen at usaba.org or (719) 866-3222.

USABA Goalball Preparing for July Camp and Tournament
Thanks to a grant from U.S. Paralympics, funded by Veterans Affairs, USABA
is hosting a goalball training camp and tournament as part of the Rocky
Mountain State Games for beginner and intermediate players in Colorado
Springs, CO, July 15-20. All Veterans and non-military are welcome to apply.
For questions, contact Matt Simpson at msimpson at usaba.org or (719) 866-3019.
Click here to register.

2014 National Chess Championships Set for October 10-11
The United States Chess Federation and the U.S. Braille Chess Association
are pleased to cosponsor the 2014 National Chess Championship for Blind
Players. The tournament, complete with prize money, will occur in
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, October 10-11. Contact Al Pietrolungo with
questions or to register at ajpietrol at verizon.net or (412) 605-0571.

Star Spangle Goalball Tournament Set for June 17-29
Developing teams and veterans are welcome to compete in the Star Spangle
Goalball Tournament, hosted by Tennessee Association of Blind Athletes
(TNABA) in Nashville, Tennessee on June 17-29. Registration can be found at
sports at tnaba.org and the deadline for registration is June 24. Questions?
Contact Christy Ray at sports at tnaba.org or at (615) 544-5222.

Articles in Circulation
Articles in circulation this week include:

1. U.S. Paralympics names Nordic Skiing National Team for 2014-2015 season.
Congrats to Sochi Paralympic Games veterans Jake Adicoff and Kevin Burton
for solidifying a sport on the team. Click here for the full roster.
2. Amy Dixon captures bronze for the U.S. at the Pan American Triathlon
Confederation Paratriathlon Championships! Read more about her race and
career in paratriathlon.

Give us a Like
We are trying to reach our goal of over 3,000 Facebook LIKES, and we need
your help! Click here to like us and then share with your friends and
family. Thanks so much for all the support!

Mark your Calendar
Visit the USABA website for additional information.
July 17-20, 2014: USABA Powerlifting National Championships in Denver,
Colorado
           Contact Coach Sampson at msampson56 at hotmail.com if participating
August 28-September 1, 2014: UCI ParaCycling World Championships in
Greenville, South Carolina
October 5, 2014: Visually Impaired National Half Marathon Championships in
Alexandria, Virginia
           Questions? Go to www.wilsonbridgehalf.com or call (703) 587-4321.
November 6-8, 2014: USABA National High School Goalball Championships in St.
Augustine, Florida
December 7, 2014: USABA National Marathon Championships in Sacramento,
California
           Contact Richard Hunter at rhunter988 at att.net for more
information.
May 1, 2015: IBSA World Championships and Games
August 7-14, 2015: Parapan American Games in Toronot, Canada
September 7-18, 2016: Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Goalball Calendar
Visit the USABA website for additional information.
June 19-21: 2014 USABA Goalball National Championships in Ames, Iowa
June 26-July 7: 2014 IBSA World Goalball Championships in Finland
October 17-18: 2014 Rocky Mountain Rendezvous Youth Tournament in Salt Lake
City, Utah
           Contact Tony Jepson at tony at ufbvi.org or 801-997-9400 for more
information

Address postal inquiries to:
United States Association of Blind Athletes
1 Olympic Plaza
Colorado Springs, CO 80909