[Nfbf-l] The Interesting Origin of the Word "Handicap"

Darlene Laibl-Crowe dlaiblcrowe at att.net
Wed Mar 5 00:37:50 UTC 2014

Interesting!  I found that the word handicapped is in relation to the
environment...meaning that a person is handicapped by something in the
environment.  Hope I am making sense there...for example; a person is in a
wheelchair is handicapped if he or she is not able to access a building or
area that they are not able to go into.  That is not referring to the person
only to the environment.  That is a positive outlook of that word and should
not be used to a person.  Again, that is my opinion and what I learned.

I can understand what you say about being called 'Blind' as I can no longer
see hardly anything or I should say I can't see past that fog out there.
(smile)  I, too, have RP but since it is connected to my hearing loss, too,
I have Usher Syndrome.  Double whammy and it is very hard to clearly
understand what is happening in the world around me.  If someone is tapping
on a seat to let me know where it is, I have no sense of direction to
clearly define where that sound is coming from.  So, other means of
communication have to be considered...that is another way of stating that I
am handicapped by my environment.  But if anyone is referring to me
personally and want to describe my vision loss and my hearing loss; I prefer
they keep it to the point Deaf Blind...even though I am Hard of Hearing, I
don't have the vision anymore to accommodate for what I cannot hear
(comprehend).

I've also heard the word Visually and Hearing challenged...now that is very
true!  It is challenging to decipher the world around us!

Thank you so much for all of that interesting information!  I learned
something new!!

Have a blessed night!
(smile)
Darlene