[Nfbf-l] {Disarmed} Fw: National Federation of the Blind Applauds Groundbreaking Agreement on Equal Access in Higher Education

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 16:26:47 UTC 2014

Some great news! Sharing.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 11:30 AM
Subject: National Federation of the Blind Applauds Groundbreaking Agreement
on Equal Access in Higher Education

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Applauds Groundbreaking Agreement on Equal
Access in Higher Education

University of Montana Will Implement Comprehensive Accessibility Measures

Baltimore, Maryland (March 19, 2014): The National Federation of the Blind
(NFB), the nation’s leading advocate for equal access in higher education by
blind students, today applauded a groundbreaking agreement that has been
reached between the University of Montana and the United States Department
of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR). Under the agreement, the
University of Montana will develop a comprehensive set of policies and
procedures to ensure that all electronic and information technology procured
or deployed by the university can be used by the blind and other students
with disabilities. Steps that will be taken by the university include
developing an accessibility policy; training faculty and staff on the
policy; conducting a survey of current and former students with disabilities
to identify the problems that they have experienced: developing a grievance
procedure for students and faculty who experience access issues; and more.
The agreement covers technology used in all aspects of education and campus
life, including electronic textbooks and course materials, online course
registration, online courseware and learning management systems, classroom
technology (such as smart podiums and clickers used to take attendance or
conduct classroom quizzes), library services, on-campus banking services,
university office equipment, and much more. In order for technology to be
accessible to students who are blind, it must have the ability to provide
audio or Braille output or to work with technology used by the blind that
can provide such output, such as text-to-speech screen access software or
electronic Braille displays.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
“While complaints by individual students and legal actions can incrementally
improve access to higher education, there is no substitute for comprehensive
and effective policies that are implemented and enforced at the highest
levels by university administrations. This agreement, which is the most
comprehensive of its kind to date, represents a thorough and systematic
approach that will benefit University of Montana students for years to come
and serve as a model for university policies and practices across the
nation. We applaud the University of Montana for the extraordinary
commitment that it is making to ensure that all of its students, including
those who are blind or who have other disabilities, receive the equal
education that the law demands and the full benefit of the college
experience that the university provides. We also applaud the work of the
Office for Civil Rights, which has crafted this agreement with extensive
input from the National Federation of the Blind and which will work with the
university to ensure its full implementation.”

"The University of Montana is committed to making sure that all students
have access to education, and in today's world that includes access to
technology," said University of Montana President Royce Engstrom. "We want
to make sure that the technology we use on our Web site, in our classrooms,
and in our offices is available to all."

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) is the oldest, largest, and most
influential nationwide membership organization of blind people in the United
States. Founded in 1940, the NFB advocates for the civil rights and equality
of blind Americans, and develops innovative education, technology, and
training programs to provide the blind and those who are losing vision with
the tools they need to become independent and successful.

Unsubscribe from this mailing
Or you may opt-out of all future mailings from us
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street
at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, MD 21230