[Nfbf-l] FW: : IRS watchdog says phone scam is largest ever: Associated Press

Jim Ellsworth jellsworth1 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Mar 21 11:46:40 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

Thanks for posting this very important article.  Just about a week ago we
got such a call but it didn't go so smoothely for the scammers.  We usually
do not answer the phone unless we recognize who the caller is so when they
placed their first call they stupidly left a message where some woman was
talking faintly in the background to someone.  I saved that very strange
message and no sooner did I hang up when they called back leaving another
message.  It was a woman who seemed to either be Spanish or Indian saying
she was from the IRS and named my wife and said that she needed to call them
back before legal action would take place.  We felt pretty certain that it
was a scam but to be sure we called or H&R Block office where we have our
taxes done and the woman told us it was a scam because the IRS would never
do this by phone.  She said we have gotten something in writing first.  We
of course never called them back.

Thanks,
Jim