[Nfbf-l] FW: Workplace Vision Awareness article published

Darlene Laibl-Crowe dlaiblcrowe at att.net
Thu Mar 27 01:58:12 UTC 2014

Hello!

Since January, I have been writing a guest column for my local newspaper to
bring awareness of vision and hearing loss.  The first article was title
"Are you in danger of losing your senses?".  This article shared how there
is an awareness about vision and/or hearing in every month of the year
except December.  At the end I declared that December was 'Don't take your
vision and hearing for granted month'.

In February, I wrote about Age-related Macular Degenerative  Awareness.  I
believe it is important to educate the public about vision and hearing loss
as they are important part of how we assimilate theworld around us.

This month's is titled 'Workplace Vision Awareness'...it was published today
and I want to share with you.  Feel free to share.  I am very thankful that
my local paper is willing to publish these articles and I will continue to
do so.

Enjoy! (smile)

Workplace Vision Awareness
by:  Darlene Laibl-Crowe
Published by Palatka Daily News
March 26, 2014

Humans are visual creatures; they look at the world to absorb information.
If we take into consideration how important visual information is; we can
make a huge difference in the realm of workface.

Safety is always a business' top priority; taking the time to assess the
environment visually is a great defense strategy.  This can be done by
providing efficient lighting; creating signs to alert of the possible hazard
areas; plus, proper eye safety equipment; and promoting eye health among the
employees.  Uncorrected vision can be a huge contributing factor towards
accidents.

One benefit is to provide vision insurance; eye care and eye glasses are
very expensive.  However, there are circumstances in which an employee is
diagnosed with unexpected vision loss.

This doesn't necessarily mean that he/she is completely blind; just suffers
from impaired vision and needs extra help to continue as before.  This might
mean learning new ways of mobility by training with a white cane or
determining what types of devices or equipment are needed.

Once a person has been declared legally blind, they are referred to state
blind services.  The first step an employer should do is seeking
consultation with that agency or other agencies that serve the blind.
Varied degrees of vision loss means that each individual must be assess to
his/her specific needs.

Diagnosed with Retinitis Pigmentosa in 1986, my employer took the time to
research and find how he could best conserve my vision.  The resolution was
a screen that reduced glare while I worked on the computer.  My vision loss
was gradual so I was able to continue working.  But there are some
situations in which more accommodation is required.

Technology has advanced dramatically since 1986 and, although, my vision is
not what it was then; I can continue to work on the computer.  I had to
learn of resources that fit my needs.  Collaborating with the blind services
and employee; the employer can play an integral role in the employee's
ability to continue to perform on the job.

This same technique can be used if considering hiring a visually challenged
person.  Are you wondering what types of technology is available?

For some; a screen reader is required and allows the blind person to be very
proficient on the computer.  There are some who continue to use their
residual vision.  For example, I use Zoom Text software that allows me to
enhance the computer display.  My screen is in High Contrast Black, which
means it is black background with white text.  Zoom Text allows me to
magnify as large as I want or in normal view by scrolling the mouse wheel.
I can also change the look of the pointer, cursor and focus box.  I use
bright colors to find my mouse pointer.  It is bright orange, large and has
a green blinking circle around it. I can also make the font smooth and bold
to not distract my visual acuity while viewing the screen.

Other technology can be found on the National Federation of the blind
website www.nfb.org  and contacting various agencies that serve the blind.
It takes diligence and patience as well as willingness to give that person a
chance to prove that they can do the job.   Incentives are provided by the
government for employers who hire disabled people; such as tax breaks.  In
Putnam County, a few visually challenged individuals do work.

To learn more about those who live in Putnam County with vision loss, you
are invited to Eye on Accessibility focus group meeting Saturday, April 12,
2014 at 10 a.m. in the Cherry Tree Apartments Community Room located at 206
Zeagler Drive in Palatka.   Refreshments will be provided.  For more
information, please call 325-0218.

Note to reader:  Eye on Accessibility is a focus group that was created July
2013 with a mission to alleviate barriers forthose who live with vision loss
in Putnam County.  This group meets the second Saturday of each month.

 (smile)
Darlene Laibl-Crowe

"God wants to breathe new life into your dreams. He wants to breathe new
hope into your heart. Don't give up. Hold on and you'll begin to see Him do
amazing things"
   	~    Joel Osteen