[Nfbf-l] Oktoberfest to Benefit Guide Dog Users

Marion Gwizdala marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Mon Sep 8 22:40:16 UTC 2014

Please circulate this information as widely as appropriate. If you received
this message as a forward without the audio announcement and flyer, you can
receive these attachments by sending a message to

Info at NAGDU.ORG

                As anyone who knows me is aware, I am an active volunteer
for the National Association of Guide dog Users (NAGDU), a strong & proud
division of the National Federation of the Blind, serving this dynamic
organization with my time, talent, and treasure in various capacities for
more than 20 years. I am dedicated to this organization because I know
first-hand the difference the NFB has made in my life and in the lives of
others. I want to invite you to support the work we do by joining us at a
unique, fun event to raise much-needed funds to continue our work. Your
support will cost you nothing more than a night out at your favorite
restaurant, so I hope you will plan to join us - and invite your friends and
colleagues to do the same - for an evening of great fun and awesome food for
a great cause! Attached to this message is an audio announcement and a flyer
about this event. Please feel free to forward it on to anyone you think
would be interested in this unique event! If you are unable to join us in
person but would like to support our work, please consider making a
contribution on our website

www.nagdu.org/donation

                On Friday, October 17, the St. Petersburg Lions club, The
New Barker Magazine, Hattricks Tavern, and the sisters of Delta Gamma will
sponsor an Oktoberfest party to support the work of the National Association
of Guide dog Users. This event will feature authentic German cuisine,
bottomless beer steins, unique games, valuable prizes, demonstrations of
working guide dog teams, and Guide dog foundation puppies-in-training! The
party will be held at the Lions Beach House, located at 9300 W. Gulf Blvd on
Treasure Island beginning at 6:00 p.m. and last until the kegs run dry!
Admission is free; however, food and drinks are on a donation basis. For
more information, please call (813)626-2789 or email us at

Info at NAGDU.ORG

                Most people are surprised to learn how frequently blind
people face challenges because of their guide dogs. As the leading
organization of guide dog users in the United States, the national
Association of Guide dog Users (NAGDU) works proactively to protect the
rights of those who choose to use a guide dog for independent mobility. As
guide dog users ourselves, we know how it feels to face such discrimination
and are here to make a difference! NAGDU conducts public awareness campaigns
on issues of guide dog use, provides advocacy support for guide dog handlers
who face discrimination, supports sound policy and effective legislation to
protect the rights of guide dog users, offers educational programs to school
and civic organizations, and functions as an integral part of the National
Federation of the Blind.

One of our most significant tools, the NAGDU Information & Advocacy Hotline,
provides information and support 24/7. This valuable service provides
general information about service animals under the Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA),   as well as specific guidance concerning
restaurants, taxicabs, and health care facilities. In addition, individuals
facing discrimination have the ability to speak with a special advocate
trained to mediate access issues. Future plans for the hotline include
summaries of each of the state laws concerning service animals, more
industry specific information, and guidance in a variety of languages, such
as Spanish, Mandarin and Arabic. The Hotline is available anytime by
calling, toll-free, 888-NAGDU411 (888-624-3841). For more information about
the rights and responsibilities of guide and other service dog users or for