[Nfbf-l] article about the "vibrating cane" - 12 million people blind in India

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 13 17:47:56 UTC 2014

Dear Friends,
The article about the "vibrating cane" might be of interest to some, but
what caught my attention on this message that came into my In Box was:
"Around 12 million people are living with blindness in India, the largest
number for any country in the world."
That is a    lot of people even though I did a Google search and it showed -
1.25 billion (2013)!

Vibrating cane to help blind people
Vibrating cane to help blind people

A team of scientists in Delhi has developed a smart cane for blind people,
which uses sensors to give vibration feedback.

Around 12 million people are living with blindness in India, the largest
number for any country in the world.

Priced at under $50 (£30), the hope is that the smart cane can help people
in developing countries.

The BBC's Shilpa Kannan met Bharti Kalra, a teacher who has been using the
cane, and Professor Balakrishnan of the Indian Institute of Technology in
Delhi, who is one of the developers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29173691#
With Best Regards,
God Bless,
Alan
Plantation, Florida
Alan Dicey, Vice President
"Yes, Blind and Visually Impaired People, Can, and Do, Play Chess!"
United States Braille Chess Association Home Page:
http://AmericanBlindChess.org