[Nfbf-l] White Cane Day slogans

Darlene Laibl-Crowe dlaiblcrowe at att.net
Sun Sep 14 23:35:50 UTC 2014

I agree with Paul, Bill!  Great solgans!

I think it is important that each of us should take the time to
bringawareness about the White Cane Day, October 15th.  However, October is
also National Blind Awareness month.  Here in Putnam County, we do not have
a NFB Chapter ( I am member of State Wide Chapter) we do have a focus group
called Eye on Accessibility that has a mission to alleviate barriers for
those who live with vision loss in Putnam County.

EoA has temed up with Palatka Lion's Club and will have its first Vision
Awareness Day.  We will observe National Blind Awareness Month and also
White Cane Day.  It is on October 11, 2014 a Saturday.  Our feature for the
event is a White Cane Obstclae Course that was built and designed by Byron
Hardy.  The goal is for sighted individuals to learn how to use a white
cane.  They will be given blindfolds and assisted by sighted invidivudals to
experience the course which has only one way in and one way out.  While they
are on their journey, they will also meet with some surprises...limbs, maybe
a hanging tree branch, squeaky toys and other obstacles that they will have
to figure out how to get around.  Also, we are going to have traffic noise
sothat they get a feel of how it feels when walking in traffic with a white
cane.  The traffic noise willhave a horn blowing, tires squealing and much
more whitenoise!

We are getting excited about this and know it will be a success!  The Lions
are also selling chicken dinners...while we (the blind) meet and greet the
public.

So I highly recommend everyone contacat their local Lions (IF NO NFB CHAPTER
LOCALLY) and ask if they can do a Vision Awareness day.  The Lion's Goal is
to serve the vision and hearing needs of their community.  There is always
an opportunity to educate!

:) Darlene