[Nfbf-l] KNFB New app that helps the blind see thanks to National Federation of the Blind and Ray Kurzweil

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 21 18:38:01 UTC 2014

Dear Friends,

I imagine some of this information might have been posted before, but I
never saw this particular article till today.

Hope some enjoy it, it mentions one of my favorite people, Ray Kurzweil.

With Best Regards,

God Bless,

Alan

Plantation, Florida

 Please join me on
www.nfblive.org
where through learning, friendship, activities, and growth, together "we can
live the life we want."

San Francisco - Jonathan Mosen, who has been blind since birth, spent his
evening snapping photos of packages in the mail, his son's school report and
labels on bottles in the fridge. In seconds, he was listening to audio of
the printed words the camera captured, courtesy of a new app on his Apple
iPhone.

"I couldn't believe how accurate it was," said Mosen, an assistive
technology consultant from New Zealand.

The new app that allows blind people to listen to an audio readback of
printed text is receiving rave reviews after its first day of availability
and is being heralded as a life-changer by many people.

Blind people say the KNFB Reader app will enable a new level of engagement
in everyday life, from reading menus in restaurants to browsing handouts in
the classroom.

The $99 app is the result of a four decades-long relationship between the
National Federation of the Blind and Ray Kurzweil, a well-known
artificial-intelligence scientist and senior Google employee. According to
its website, K-NFB Reading Technology and Sensotec, a Belgium-based company,
led the technical development of the app.

Kurzweil, who demonstrated the app on stage at the NFB's annual convention
in June, said it can replace a "sighted adviser".

Taking advantage of new pattern recognition and image-processing technology
as well as new smartphone hardware, the app allows users to adjust or tilt
the camera, and reads printed materials out loud. People with refreshable
Braille displays can now snap pictures of print documents and display them
in Braille near-instantaneously, said NFB spokesperson Chris Danielsen.

The app has already given some people greater independence, users said on
Thursday and Friday on social-media sites such as Twitter. One early
adopter, Gordon Luke, tweeted that he was able to use the app to read his
polling card for the Scottish Referendum.

The app will be available on Android in the coming months, Kurzweil told
Reuters in an interview. He may also explore a version of the app for Google
Glass, a postage stamp-sized computer screen that attaches to eyeglass
frames and is capable of taking photos, recording video and playing sound.

Size of a washing machine

"Google Glass makes sense because you direct the camera with your head,"
Kurzweil said.

Kurzweil started working on so-called "reading machines" in the early 1970s
after chatting on a plane with a blind person who voiced frustrations with
the lack of optical-recognition technology on the market.

A few years later, "Kurzweil burst into the National Federation of the
Blind's offices in Washington, DC, and said he had invented a reading
machine," recalled Jim Gashel, a former NFB employee who currently heads
business development at KNFB Reader. "It was phenomenal."

Kurzweil's first reading machine was the size of a washing machine and cost
$50 000. The technology has continued to improve over the past few decades -
the new smartphone app can recognise and translate print between different
languages and scan PowerPoint slides up to 25 feet (7.6 meters) away - but
it was not available on a mainstream mobile device until now.

Previously, it cost more than $1 000 to use the software with a Nokia
cellphone and a camera.

The app's release comes at a time when the technology industry has faced
criticism for being too focused on making what some deem frivolous products
such as apps for sharing photos and video games, as well as for intruding
into people's personal privacy.

In San Francisco, activists have blocked commuter buses operated by
companies such as Google and Apple, and picketed the homes of some tech
company executives for driving up the cost of living and not doing enough to
help fix the city's problems.

San Francisco-based Bryan Bashin, executive director of the non-profit
Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired, said the KNFB app shows the
positive and profound impact that technology can have.

"There are innumerable times in life that I'll have a bit of print and there
will be nobody around who can help me out, and I'll just want to know
something as simple as 'Is this packet decaf or caffeinated coffee?'" Bashin
said.

"The ability to do this easily with something that fits in your pocket at
lightning speed will certainly be a game changer."

- - -