[Nfbf-l] Disabled people aren't here to inspire you

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 26 20:46:19 UTC 2015

Dear Friends,
I came across this article and thought it worth sharing, because for me it
is a perfect verbal illustration of our struggle .
It's pasted below and also if you wish can be accessed via the following URL

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/feb/05/disabled-people-super-bowl-advert-deaf-nfl-footballer-derrick-coleman?CMP=share_btn_fb

If the link doesn't work you'll need to copy it and open manually, but see
the article below.

Disabled people aren't here to inspire you
By Charlie Swinbourne
Advertising agencies don't miss a trick. In the run-up to the 2014 Super
Bowl, an advertisement from Duracell that featured a deaf NFL footballer
called Derrick Coleman went viral. Coleman narrated it himself, saying:
"They gave up on me, told me I should quit. But I've been deaf since I was
three, so I didn't listen."

That trend's been followed up this year, with two advertisements being aired
during the Super Bowl featuring disabilities.
One, featuring a six-year old boy called Braylon O'Neill, shows how, with
the help of Microsoft technology, he can use prostheses to walk. The other
shows Paralympic snowboarder Amy Purdy, who also uses prosthetics, gliding
across the snow to promote a car company.
Both advertisements have prompted a debate on "inspiration porn".

I've got nothing against Coleman, Purdy or O'Neill. If their ads make people
look at disabled people a little more positively, then I can see there's a
benefit. I just wish that we were being encouraged to admire them, rather
then feel inspired by them.
My problem is summed up by the Microsoft advertisements, which begins with
the line "What can you do?"
That line reveals how these advertisements use disability, and the narrative
of overcoming disability, as an emotional hook, to make non-disabled people
feel like achieving more. These disabled people's achievements are not
enough on their own - their value really lies in what they can make everyone
else feel like doing!
I feel strongly about this because I've been called words like "brave", and
"inspiring" before. I was called "brave" by a woman merely for going on my
school's foreign exchange trip, and I was called "inspiring" by a journalist
just for being deaf and working in the media. On one level, I was aware that
there was no malice intended, they were simply trying to pay me a
compliment, and they thought these were appropriate terms to us, so I
responded as such.
But on another, hidden level, I felt deeply patronised. Those words revealed
low expectations - as though, simply because I'm deaf, I wasn't expected to
achieve anything. As if anything I did do became noteworthy as a result
It's not that deaf and disabled people don't have to battle with all kinds
of barriers in life - of course we do. It's the fact that society seems to
seems to forget that it's often the world around us - physical barriers,
communication issues, or attitudes - that are far more "disabling" than the
disability itself. Non-disabled people may feel inspired by the idea of us
"overcoming" or "beating" our disability, but we wouldn't have much to
overcome if society treated us more equally.
Another issue with "inspiration porn" is how polarised the way disabled
people are seen has become. Right now, in the UK, disabled people are on the
whole seen as either scroungers or "supercrips". We're either a drain on
society, in which case we are seen as taking something from you, or we're an
example to look up to, in which case, you want to take something-
inspiration - from us.
The reality is that most of us are neither of these things.

The biggest problem with inspiration porn is that although it shows people
overcoming disability, it often means disabled people are not shown as being
complex human beings, with more to us than the sum of our disability alone.
And that in itself is limiting.
Nick Sturley, a deaf man with Usher syndrome, put it perfectly when he said
this to me last year:
"Don't define me by a condition I happen to have.