[Nfbf-l] Seeking position on NFB of Florida State Board

Darlene Laibl-Crowe dlaiblcrowe at att.net
Tue Jan 13 20:08:01 UTC 2015

Hello!  I came on board with NFB of Florida February 2013 when the State
Wide Chapter was created.  I live in Palatka (Putnam County) which is rural
and the closest chapters are in Daytona, Gainesville or Jacksonville.

Being part of the State Wide Chapter has been very enlightening.  I am
currently the Vice President and plan to stay active in this chapter.   I
have learned much about the NFB through the many talented individuals in
this chapter and others who are part of the Federation.

I came into NFB of Florida with a background in Advocacy.  I have Usher
Syndrome Type 2 (combination of Retinitis Pigmentosa and hearing loss) and
wear bi-lateral hearing aids.   Losing more vision and hearing in 2010 led
me to identify myself as Deaf Blind, which enabled me to obtain resources
for my specific needs.

In 2011, upon returning from Helen Keller National Center (
<http://www.hknc.org> www.hknc.org) in New York after 8 months of training;
I jumped on board the Florida Deaf Blind Association (
<http://www.fldeafblind.org> www.fldeafblind.org) with their Support Service
Provider (SSP) Task Force and participated in the creation of the Florida
Support Service Providers (FSSP) program, which is still a work in progress
as we need funding to implement the services.  In the meantime, we are
continuing to train Support Service Providers to prepare for when services
begin.

In 2012, I was appointed by Governor Rick Scott to the Florida Coordinating
Council for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing ( <http://www.fccdhh.org>
www.fccdhh.org) to represent Deaf Blind Floridians.  This council meets
quarterly throughout Florida with public forums encouraging all to comment.
The members on the council are passionate about serving the consumers of
Florida and very interested in hearing these comments.

I am a firm believer in respect and integrity.  I believe that these two
elements bring about effective communication and the philosophy of our
federation.  I prefer to edify others; lifting them up rather than tearing
them down.  We cannot choose the people that come in our lives; they are
there for a reason.  This may be personally, professionally or as a stranger
who appears out of nowhere.

I also believe that education begins at home.  As I taught my sons before
they entered school and adulthood; I must educate within my community about
Blindness and/or Deafness.  I have been a member of the Lion's Club for
almost ten years.  I have advocated through the Lions about guide dogs and
for awareness of those who are blind and/or deaf.  Due to my advocacy
Division of Blind Services asked me to meet with several visually impaired
individuals in my community in 2013 to brainstorm as to how to improve
resources in our community.  We met; formed Eye on Accessibility (EoA) Focus
Group.  This group meets once a month.  We have resolved some of the
transportation issues, now one of our members is on the Disadvantaged
Transportation Board.  Last year, the Lion's Club joined EoA in a Vision
Awareness Day event in which we had a White Cane Obstacle course for those
who are sighted to experience White Cane Travel.

I believe that what I do and experience outside of the NFB enhances NFB's
progress.  For example, for the State Wide Chapter, I brought a new form of
communication accessibility so that those who have hearing loss can
understand what is being said on the phone.  I also wrote "Can You Hear Me
Now?", which was published in the December issue of the Braille Monitor in
hopes of spreading the word to others.  This form of accommodation allows
the person who has combined vision and hearing loss to be professional
during these meetings.

I am also a member of the NFB Communications Committee.  My goal there is to
write about the Deaf Blind Community:  What types of technology/resources
are out there and how these can improve self-sufficiency for the Deaf Blind
so they can live the life they want.

Now, that being said, I am stepping out of my comfort zone to let you know
that I am interested in a seat on the State Board.  Several years ago, I
asked what I thought was a dumb question to one of my former DBS Counselors,
he encouraged me by telling me, "There is no dumb question.  You don't know
until you ask. Remember that old adage, 'never ventured, never gained'?  You
won't know until you step out there and do it."

So, here I am.asking, Will you vote for me at the State Convention?

Please allow me to work with and for you as a member of the National
Federation of the Blind of Florida State Board.

Darlene Laibl-Crowe
State Wide Chapter
Vice President

"Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood"
            ~ Helen Keller