[Nfbf-l] Self-driving Google car pulled over for driving too slowly in California.

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 17 02:38:27 UTC 2015

Dear Friends,
Well, they are getting there, and it will be here one of these days!
Hope some enjoy this article.
With Best Regards,
God Bless,
Alan
Plantation, Florida

Self-driving Google car pulled over for driving too slowly in California.
MOUNTAIN VIEW, California, November  13 (UPI) --.
A California police officer pulled a car over for driving 10 mph under the
speed limit yesterday only to find out it was a self-driving Google car.
The Mountain View Police Department in the San Francisco Bay Area said an
officer noticed traffic backing up behind a slow moving car on Thursday and
pulled over what turned out to be a Google Autonomous Vehicle.  The incident
was photographed by Aleksandr Milewski, who shared his photo on Twitter.
The officer made contact with the operators to learn more about how the car
was choosing speeds along certain roadways and to educate the operators
about impeding traffic, the police department said in a blog post.
The Google self-driving cars operate under the Neighborhood Electric Vehicle
Definition per 385.5 of the California Vehicle Code and can only be operated
on roadways with speed limits at or under 35 mph.  In this case, it was
lawful for the car to be traveling on the street as El Camino Real is rated
at 35 mph, the department said.
Google's headquarters are in Mountain View, California, a few miles from
where the car was pulled over by police.  The Mountain View Police
Department said in a blog post that it meets regularly with Google to make
sure their cars operate safely in the community.
The Google Self-Driving Car Project said in a Google plus post the speed of
the prototype vehicles is capped at 25 mph for safety reasons.  Like this
officer, people sometimes flag us down when they want to know more about our
project.  After 1.2 million miles of autonomous driving (that's the human
equivalent of 90 years of driving experience), we're proud to say we've
never been ticketed! the project said.  Driving too slowly? Bet humans don't
get pulled over for that too often.