[Nfbf-l] What is Legislation?

Camille Tate ctate2076 at att.net
Sun Dec 31 20:50:41 UTC 2017

  Apologies. This message was never posted to our email list. I am re-posting it.
Sincerely, Camille Tate
President, Melbourne Space Coast Chapter, National Federation of the Blind, FL
Board of Directors, National Federation of the Blind, FL
Email: ctate2076 at att.net
Phone: 321 372 4899

What is Legislationand what does it mean for me?

As we close out 2017 and move into the new year, the timehas come to make our New Year’s Resolutions and determine how to make 2018 evenbetter. The National Federation of the Blind of Florida has selected itsdelegates to attend the 2018 Washington Seminar in late January. In planningthis important and hopefully fruitful trip, let us take a moment to askourselves a few questions. Where can we, as members of the Florida Affiliate,do the best to “…achieve equality, opportunity and security for the blind”?Legislation is a key component to realizing our goal of living the life wewant.

The question then becomes, what is legislation and what doesit mean for me? On occasion, we are asked by our National Office to performcertain tasks in moving our Federation agenda with our elected officials.Often, we are unsure just what that means or how to accomplish it. The drive towork on bringing equality is a personal one; it is personal for all of us.

Ask yourself some of these questions…. Is there something, abill, an ordinance or some legal vehicle that either stands in the way of myability to work, get an education, rent or buy a home, or prevent me fromliving as independently as I choose? Is there a law in my city/county or statethat impedes my ability to do any of the above? Has there been a violation of alaw that allows discrimination of me, or others like me, that is being ignored?These are only a few of the questions that can lead you to the path oflegislation. These and others are at the heart of those who wish to take astand against injustice in a society that often marginalizes the blind anddisabled.

Sometimes, all it takes is a phone call or an email to yourlocal, state or federal politician to begin the change that can reverberateacross the nation. A visit to the office of your government representatives canspark a chain reaction whose ripples reach far into the future for those whocome after. Is working on legislation hard? In essence, no. It may involve aninvestment of time, but if you can talk on the phone, write a letter or send anemail, you can work on legislation. You do not need a law degree, collegeeducation or professional certification to speak for yourself or others withinour Legislative Committee. Our Federation family is made up of people from allwalks of life, socio-economic backgrounds and multiple disabilities and eachone has value and is valued.

To learn more about legislation within our Affiliate orNational Office, or to find out how you can be part of this great endeavor,take the time to listen to one of our Legislative Committee conference calls.You may be surprised by how dedicated we are to advancing the goals of our Federationand how you can fit in. The National Federation of the Blind of Florida wishesto jump start work within our state, as well as taking on the projects of our NationalOffice. We meet on the third Tuesday of each month. Check your Florida list forreminder messages about upcoming meetings.