[Nfbf-l] Towards training

Derek Roberts bigd.vi.guy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 22:54:58 UTC 2017

Hey all,

My name is Derek Roberts. I currently reside in Titusville. I'm wondering
if anyone would have any advice as to how to proceed with this.
I am seeking training in independent living and mobility. I have researched
the local training center in Daytona that DBS wants me to go to, and based
on both their website and speaking to them, I can see that this center will
not work for me. Other people, I'm sure, but not me. While attending
national convention, I had the opportunity to meet several graduates from
other centers, as well as speak with some of the staff at the Colorado
Center for the Blind. I was blown away, to put it lightly! I have
researched CCB, along with other centers in the past, but hadn't had the
boldness or confidence to approach DBS properly.
Yesterday, I met with my counselor to discuss this. We ended up on the
phone with the district administrator for Daytona (didn't think that was
the local office, but what do I know?)
It is apparently DBS policy to send the client to the local center (which I
already know will not work for me), then if there are still discrepancies
to consider other methods or places. But as I understand it, there is a
federal law that gives me the right to not take this route?
I have so far spoken with DRF who is reviewing my case to see if they can
be of any help, as well as Brent Batron at the Colorado center. I will also
be in communication with the locals to build a list of pros and cons of the
center here vs the one in Colorado. Right now I am awaiting some kind of
decision by the DA of Daytona's office. What/what else can I do from here?
This is my first time dealing with something like this, and I have no idea
how to proceed. And for me, it is both a potentially legal battle as well
as an emotional and stressful one.
If anyone has any tips, I would be very much appreciative!

Thanks in advance,
Derek Roberts