[Nfbf-l] Towards training

Matt Roberts n9gmr at me.com
Wed Jul 19 23:58:08 UTC 2017

Why are you assuming the DBS center won’t work for you.  I think you should exhaust all resources locally first before going out of state.
Rehabilitation centers can’t teach you everything.  You need to get out there and teach yourself as much as possible.  Have you tried to do the things you want to do on your own?
IF you go to an out of state training center, you’ll need skills to successfully get there.  You have to have some travel knowledge.  IF you are flying, you need to know the flight numbers, gates, and seat assignments.  How will you get this information? What will you do if you are sitting at the gate, your flight is called, and they forget to walk you to the plane? You can’t rely on the gate agents to remember, they won’t.
IF you go to the Daytona Center, whatever they don’t teach you I’m sure you can figure out on your own.  IF not, there are many people with whom you can communicate and ask questions.
IF you come to Daytona, and try getting what you want, whatever they don’t teach you I will.  I’ve done this before.  I knew someone who wanted computer training.  At that time, the center didn’t provide training on internet usage.  HE spent a weekend at my house, and learned the skills he wanted.  Later he told me he learned more from me than he had at the center.
I’ll tell you from personal experience if I relied on a rehabilitation center, I would not be the person I am today.
When I was growing up, there was limited mobility training in my local school.  They didn’t start that till the year after I graduated high school.  I was not familiar with taking public buses, crossing streets, or navigating unfamiliar places.  The only mobility training I had was basic cane travel and how to get around the school building.  When I realized I wasn’t going to get more training, I stopped the classes.  I had to use what limited training I’d received at Maryland School for the Blind.
After getting a few lessons at the Maryland Rehabilitation Center, I took what I learned and built from there.  I do not consider that formal mobility training.  I use public buses, and travel anywhere I want to go.  I just came back from Deming New Mexico, where I attended The International Cessna 170 Association Annual Convention.

Matt Roberts
n9gmr at me.com

Sent from my iPhone and MacBook Air using Continuity