[Nfbf-l] [NFB-l] Towards training

Kathy Davis kdavisnfbf at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jul 20 02:32:36 UTC 2017

Hi Derek,
This is Kathy Davis. I was president of the NFB of Florida for 4 years and I
cannot overemphasize the importance of acquiring independent living skills
training based on NFB philosophy. I am also the founder of the Center for
the Visually Impaired that is based here in Daytona Beach. We can provide
some excellent travel skills and other adjustment to blindness skills but we
are not a live in facility. We do have a center based in Brevard County. The
main number for CVI is 386-253-8879.
When I retired from 30 years as a senior professor at Daytona State College,
I promptly put my ducks in a row to attend the Louisiana Center for the
Blind. That center, like Colorado is based on NFB philosophy and the
training is tough. I used to call it boot camp for the blind as did many
other students. Here's the thing...you will be doing things you never
dreamed you could accomplish - using every conceivable power tool in shop
class (I built a beautiful cherry wood mantel clock) and let me tell you, I
had never even touched a power tool before. Everyone trains under blindfold
unless they are totally blind. You will take shop, computer training, home
management, Braille and orientation and mobility. You will live off campus
and will likely have a roommate in a group of apartments that the center
owns. You will be expected to travel independently to and from the center
Monday through Friday. You will be expected to keep your apartment
completely clean and there will be unexpected inspections of your dwelling
on a regular basis. You will make a meal for 8 and finally a meal for 40
before you graduate. You will engage in rock climbing, attend Mardi Gras
with other students, go white water rafting, travel independently to another
town by bus and then change to a city bus where you will be expected to shop
for a certain item in the local maul there. You will be dropped off in some
area of Rustin Louisiana and be expected to figure out your way back to the
center. You will be given a certain address to find and it will be up to you
to get there and find it. You will go roller skating, chop down a Christmas
tree and the list goes on and on. The bottom line is that I lived in Rustin
from September until the end of May that year when I graduated. It was truly
life altering and I truly do not believe you can acquire this kind of
independence locally.
You have the right to insist that you attend a rehabilitation center that
provides the types of challenges I have outlined above. My strong suggestion
is that you call Pam Allen, Director of the Louisiana Center in Rustin. She
is a beautiful, gifted and incredible person who happens to be blind. Pam is
also the First Vice President of the National Federation of the Blind and
president of the Louisiana affiliate.
To call Pam and to discuss avenues you can take to attend the Louisiana
Center, her telephone number is 318-251-2891
Pam's cell number is 318-436-9123

Please try the center's telephone number first and give her a chance to call
you back if you have to leave her a voice mail message.

I should mention that you will do all of your own grocery shopping and work
out any transportation if you are unable to go by foot. If it all works out
for you, your life will be forever changed and you will acquire a sense of
self confidence that here to for was only a dream.

Best of luck to you!

Kathy Davis
kdavisnfbf at cfl.rr.com