[Nfbf-l] Seeking your support

Merry Schoch merrys at verizon.net
Fri May 19 22:49:14 UTC 2017

Dear Florida Federation Family,

It is great to see that Florida has so many members who are passionate about
growing and serving the Florida affiliate. With so many dedicated members
willing to give their energy to the Movement, Florida is on a sound, secure,
and strong footing to achieve our mission and goals! I would like to take
this opportunity to introduce myself and share with members of our affiliate
my interest in serving on the Board of Directors for our NFBF.

I lost my eyesight in 1997 due to complications of Marfans syndrome, also
known as "Abe Lincoln's disease". After becoming involved with the NFB and
NFBF, I decided to enroll in college and am grateful for the mentors and
role models that supported this endeavor by demonstrating to me that I could
live the life I want! I believe my formal education, my participation in the
seminars of the NFB, my experiences in leadership positions, and the
knowledge I have gained in all facets of owning and operating a successful
business demonstrates my capability to grow our Florida Federation so it can
continue to serve the blind and change what it means to be blind for blind
children, students in higher education, senior citizens, and all blind
residents in our great state.

I have been a member of the National Federation of the Blind since 2000. I
served as a chapter vice president for ten years and am a proud member of
the Tampa Bay chapter of the NFBF. I currently serve as the vice president
of the Florida association of Guide Dog Users (FLAGDU)   as well as the
president of the Human Services division of the NFB, our national division
for blind social workers, mental health counselors, psychologists, and other
allied health professionals. I also serve as the Florida coordinator for the
new Uber Rideshare Project of the NFB; (if you would like more information
on this project, please see me at convention or come to the FLAGDU meeting.)
Recently, I supported a parent and her blind child by attending two
Individual Education Plan (IEP) meetings. During our state convention, I
will be participating in the IEP seminar to gain more knowledge so I can
continue to serve Florida's blind children and their parents. I have had the
opportunity and privilege to attend the Leaders and Ledgers training
seminar, as well as the Leadership seminar at our Jernigan Institute in
Baltimore. I have had the honor of participating in two of our Washington
Seminars and the recent Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium in March.

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice from Florida gulf
Coast University and a Master of Social Work degree from the University of
South Florida. I am a licensed clinical social worker who owns and operates
a psychotherapy practice in Brandon- Ray of Sunshine Empowerment Services
LLC. Being a business owner allows me the flexibility to work for our
Federation at the national, state, and local levels.  My professional and
volunteer work in the National Federation of the blind are my passions. The
ability to serve others and be a ray of sunshine and hope to those
individuals I serve, whether for a season or a lifetime, are what guide and
energize me.

I am seeking your support and confidence in my abilities to serve our
affiliate as a board member. If you would like to get to know me better,
please find me during convention. I will be working the PAC Plan table
throughout our state convention and the hospitality room on Saturday from
noon to 1:00 p.m. Please stop by to say hello, introduce yourself, and pick
up a snack.

I am counting down the days until I get to spend time with my Florida
Federation Family and looking forward to continue my service with love,
hope, energy, professionalism, and determination!

With warm regards,

Merry C. Schoch, LCSW