[Nfbf-l] Celebrate women history month-Pam Allen

Denise valkemadenise at aol.com
Sat Mar 24 02:49:15 UTC 2018

We are excited that Pam Allen is our national rep at our state convention.you can learn more about Pam below.

NFB shared. To celebrate #WomensHistoryMonth, here is a bit about another of our Federation leaders.

Pam Allen currently serves as the First Vice President of the National Federation of the Blind, as well as President of the National Federation of the Blind of Louisiana. She says that, as a woman, she is grateful to have always had women to look up to in the Federation. “When I became involved, women were in pivotal roles. The three founders of the NFB training centers were women, and when I won a national scholarship, the chair of the committee was a woman. I was surrounded by women who showed that they could be active, successful in their careers, in their service and leadership in the NFB, and their families.”

Growing up Pam was surrounded by strong confident women who believed in her. She says, “I am very thankful for the strong role models in my own family – my mom, sisters, aunts, etc.  I went to an all-girls high school as well, so I had many powerful examples growing up! Looking back, I realize how lucky I was! Gender and blindness were not used as reasons for low expectations for me.”

Pam received her minor in Women’s Studies. “At college everyone had to take a diversity studies class, and I picked women’s studies and I had no idea how well it would connect with the rest of my life. It was right around the time I was getting involved in the NFB and it fit so well together that I became a women’s studies minor.” As an emerging leader in the Federation she understood how important equality and opportunity were for everyone. “As a woman I felt like all the opportunities were there for the taking if I wanted them. We as women have the confidence to accept challenges and to mentor other women, and that makes us stronger as an organization. I know we continue to work on building a united, diverse and welcoming organization where we are all working together to increase opportunities for blind people of all ages. The Federation offers hope! And, we are fortunate to have mentors with many years of service stand emerging leaders upon whom we can depend!”

Along with being a leader in the Federation, Pam currently serves as Director of the Louisiana Center for the Blind, where she continues to mentor blind people and show them they can live the lives they want. Pam has also previously been a leader in the Ruston Chamber of Commerce, as well as being involved in projects throughout the city of Ruston which include leadership training for youth and adults.               She also enjoys traveling, reading, baking, and being involved in activities at her church and in the community. She says, “I have the confidence to do so many of those things because I’ve seen women and others in the federation who did them successfully. I love the sharing of information in a way that is meant to build a person up to accomplish their dreams!”

Denise Valkema, President  National Federation of the Blind of Florida
(305)972-8529
president at nfbflorida.org
www.nfbflorida.org
Follow us @nfbflorida