[Nfbf-l] Rough Draft 2018 Agenda

Miranda Kilby mbkilby at gmail.com
Wed May 2 02:02:47 UTC 2018

Greetings Fellow Federation Family,

Attached is a rough draft of our 2018 state convention agenda. Please
keep in mind that things are still subject to change, and we, should
have our final version within the week.

We hope that you are making arrangements to join your NFB family at
the end of this month. The deadline to reserve a hotel room  using our
NFB room rate is May 3rd. Please call the Hilton Tampa Airport
Westshore at 813-877-6688.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at yourconveniance.

2018 STATE CONVENTION

Friday through Monday, May 25 - 28, 2018

Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore
2225 North Lois Avenue
Tampa, F
Florida 33607
Phone: 813-877-6688

NFB PLEDGE

I pledge to participate actively
In the efforts of the National Federation of the Blind
To achieve Equality, Opportunity,
And Security for the blind;
To support the policies and programs of the Federation;
And to abide by its constitution.

 Important Convention Information

You must be registered for the Convention to WIN door prizes and to
qualify for the hotel’s special convention rates!

Door prizes will be awarded at general sessions and at the banquet.
You must be PRESENT in the session or on approved National Federation
of the Blind of Florida business to receive a door prize.

Please turn in auction baskets and door prizes at the NFB of Florida
Registration Desk in the Pre-function Foyer Friday, May 26th from 4:30
– 6:00 pm.

Exhibit Hall – Bay Shore Ballroom
Rafael Fernandez, Coordinator
Hours of operation:
Friday, May 26th: 5:00 to 10:00 pm
Saturday, May 27th: 12 Noon to 6:00 pm
Sunday, May 28th: 12:00 Noon to 5:00 pm
Please Note: This agenda is subject to change at any time without notice.

Schedule of Convention Events
Friday, May 25th

4:00 pm to 6:30 pm	NFB of Florida Convention Registration
	Pre-function Foyer
	Gloria Mills Hicks, Treasurer, NFB 	of Florida

6:00 pm to 10:00 pm 	Meet and Greet
	Gasparilla Ballrooms 3 and 4
	Come and meet Federationist you know and those you don’t know.

5:00 pm to 10:00 pm 	Exhibit Hall
	Bay Shore Ballroom

6 PM to 7 PM	Blind Parents Meet and Greet
	Room 112, Hospitality Room
	Facilitator: Nicole Fincham-Shehan, Coordinator, NFBF of Blind Parents
	Are you a blind parent? Come and meet and share ideas with other
blind parents across the state of Florida.

7:00 pm to 7:50 pm 	NFB of Florida Resolutions Committee
	Gasparilla Ballrooms 1 and 2
	Merry Schoch and Camille Tate, Co-Chairs, NFB of Florida Resolutions Committee

8:00 pm to 9:00 pm 	NFB of Florida Board Meeting
	Gasparilla Ballrooms 1 and 2
	Denise Valkema, President, NFB of Florida
	Join us for our open board meeting and meet our NFB OF Florida 2018
Scholarship Winners!

9:00 pm to 10:00 pm	Mingle with the State Affiliate
	Gasparilla Ballrooms 3 and 4
	Come and meet the Board of Directors of the National Federation of
the Blind of Florida.

10:00 PM to 11:00 PM	Student Social
	Room 112, Hospitality Room
	Come and mingle with students from all over Florida.

Saturday, May 26th

7:00 am to 8:30 am 	NFB of Florida 2018 Scholarship Breakfast
	Gasparilla Ballroom 4
	Facilitator: Paul Martinez, Chair, NFB of Florida Scholarship Committee
	NFB of Florida Scholarship Committee and 2018 Scholarship WINNERS ONLY

8:00 am to 8:55 am 	NFB of Florida Convention Registration
	Pre-Function Foyer
	Gloria Mills Hicks, Treasurer, NFB of Florida

General Session
9:00 am to 12:00 Noon
Gasparilla Ballrooms 1 and 2

9:00 am	Call to Order
	Denise Valkema, President, NFB of Florida

9:05 am 	Invocation
	Lois Ann Sorensen, Master of Divinity Student at Luther Seminary,
Parish Deacon, Grace Lutheran Church, Tampa

9:10 am 	NFB Pledge and the Pledge of Allegiance
	Carol Dean, Secretary, Suncoast Chapter
	Scott Wilson, Treasurer, Suncoast Chapter

9:15 am 	Official Greeting
	Presentation of Proclamation
	Honorable Luis Viera,
	Chair, Pro-Tem, Tampa City Council

9:20 am	Roll Call of Chapters
	NFB of Florida Chapter Presidents or delegates

9:30 am 	President's Report
	Denise Valkema, President, NFB of Florida

9:50 am 	Report from our National Movement
	Pam Allen, First Vice President, National Federation of the Blind,
President, NFB of Louisiana

10:20 am 	Florida parents of Blind Children
	Cherice Togun, President, Florida Parents of Blind Children

10:25 am 	Climbing motherhood as a Blind Parent
	Nicole Fincham-Shehan, coordinator, NFB of Florida Blind Parents Group

10:30 am 	“I have the Fever”
	Alicia Kilby, Vice president, Suncoast Chapter

10:35 am 	Braille and Talking Book Library
	James Woolyhand, Bureau Chief, Florida Braille and Talking Book Library

10:50 am 	Preparing for a storm
	Marcus Martin, Division Director, Emergency Preparedness and
Recovery, Hillsborough County Emergency Management

11:10 AM	Rubio

11:30 am 	Spotlight on Adaptive Technology
	Exhibitor’s Showcase 2017!

11:55 am 	Announcements

12:00 noon	Adjourn

12:00 noon to 1:00 pm	Lunch Break

12:00 noon to 12:50 pm	NFB of Florida Convention Registration
	Pre-function foyer
	Gloria Mills Hicks, Treasurer, NFB of Florida

12:00 noon to 6:00 pm	Exhibit Hall
	Bay Shore Ballroom

12:15 pm to 6:00 pm	Hospitality
	Room 112

Saturday General Interest Seminars
1:00 pm to 4:50 pm

1:00 pm to 2:50 pm	NFB of Florida Deaf-Blind Division Meeting
	Gasparilla Ballrooms 1 and 2
	Emily Taylor-Snell, Deaf Blind Project Coordinator, Florida and
Virgin Islands Deaf Blind Collaborative
Come and learn some of the best resources for deaf-blind persons in
Florida and abroad; what are the best practices for communicating as a
deaf blind person; socialization vs. isolation, and so much more!
Alicia Betancourt, President, Florida Deaf Blind Division
Florida Deaf Blind Division business meeting and elections.

1:00 PM to 1:45 PM	Legislation Committee
	Gasparilla Ballroom 4
	Merry Schoch and Camille Tate, Co-Chairs, NFB of Florida Legislation Committee
Join us for updates on our National and State legislative priorities.
Learn about our future goals as an affiliate.

2:05 PM to 2:50 PM	Come Relief the Tension of Convention
	Gasparilla Ballroom 4
	Merry Schoch, License Clinical Social worker, Ray of Sunshine
Empowerment Services LLC
Come learn ways to reduce stress and anxiety. The first 25 people
through the door will receive a free therapeutic gift sponsored by
Merry Schoch.

1:10 pm to 1:45 pm	Apple Tips and Tricks
	Gasparilla Ballroom 3
	Rafael Fernandez, Board member, NFB of Florida
The wonderful thing about technology is, it’s always evolving. Join us
in a brief showcase of iOS, learn the newest features along with a
short Q and A regarding the platform.

2:05 pm to 2:50 pm	Appetizing APPS
	Gasparilla Ballroom 3
	Scott Wilson, Treasurer, Suncoast Chapter
We will be showcasing and demonstrating apps that are voice over
friendly. Vorail, a voice only social media, several new GPS apps, and
a little bit more for everyone, even the gamer in you.

3:10 pm to 4:50 pm	Staying Safe in the Storm! Timely Tips for you and your Dog.
	Florida Association of Guide Dog Users
	Gasparilla Ballroom 4
	Marcus Martin, MS, Division Director Emergency Preparedness and
Recovery Hillsborough County Office of Emergency Management
Do you want crucial advice for keeping you and your dog safe this
hurricane season? Interested in accurate information on flying with
your guide dog? Curious about the latest from some guide dog schools
and possibly winning a cash prize? It’s all happening at the FLAGDU
seminar.
Sherrill O’Brien, President, Florida Association of Guide Dog Users
Florida Association of Guide Dog Users Annual Meeting

3:10 pm to 3:50 pm	Senior Concerns Group
	Gasparilla Ballroom 3
	Gloria Mills Hicks, Chair, NFB of Florida Seniors Concerns Group
Come one, come all! We are open to all ages. We will be discussing
technology and some time to stretch and exercise.

4:05 pm to 4:50 pm	Become a Power User with Windows 10 and JAWS 2018
	Gasparilla Ballroom 3
	Jorge Hernandez, Board Member, NFB of Florida
Come and take a peek at JAWS 2018 and Windows 10 enhanced features. An
intuitive session to assist you in navigating Windows 10, browsing
techniques and JAWS 2018 commands.

5:00 pm to 7:00 pm		Dinner - On Your Own
7:00 pm to 10:00 pm 	We are Family Trivia Party and Auction
	Gasparilla Ballroom
	Steve Blum, Host
Come and interact with your federation family with a fun game of
Trivia. In addition, tickets for the auction will be sold at the
beginning of the party, and this will be your last chance to win one
of our amazing baskets. There will be a cash bar at this event.

Sunday, May 27th

7:30 AM to 8:30 AM	Presidents and Vice Presidents meeting
	Gasparilla Ballroom 4

8:00 am to 8:50 am 	Registration (Final Opportunity!)
	Pre-function foyer
	Gloria Mills Hicks, Treasurer, NFB of Florida

General Session
9:00 am to 12:00 noon
Gasparilla Ballrooms 1 and 2

9:00 am 	Call to Order
	Denise Valkema, President, NFB of Florida

9:05 am 	Invocation
	James Johnson, Member, Florida State Wide Chapter

9:10 am 	Florida Association of Guide Dog Users Report
	Sherrill O’Brien, President, Florida Association of Guide Dog users

9:15 AM	Guide Dog Uber Project Report
	Merry Schoch, Chair, Uber Project

9:20 am 	Rehabilitation Center Update
	Ed Hudson, Bureau Chief, Florida Division of Blind Services
Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired

9:35 am 	Deaf-Blind Division Report
	Newly Elected FDBD Board Members

9:40 am 	Legislation Update
	Merry Schoch and Camille Tate, Co-Chairs, NFB of Florida Legislation Committee

9:50 am 	Why I am a Federationist
	Jeanette Torres, Board Member, Tampa Bay Chapter

10:00 am 	NFB Training Center
	Pam Allen, Director, NFB Louisiana Center for the Blind

10:15 am 	Division of Blind Services Report
	Robert Doyle, Director, Florida Division of Blind Services

10:35 am 	Ring, Ring its BELL Time
	Kimberly Banks, Coordinator, NFB of Florida Braille Enrichment for
Literacy and Learning

10:45 am 	“How I Slam it”

10:50 am 	NFB-Newsline® Report
	Russ Davis, Chair, NFB of Florida Newsline®

10:55 am 	NFB-Newsline® Marketer Report
	Sherri Brun, Marketer, and NFB of Florida Newsline®

11:00 am 	“It Takes a Village to Transform Dreams into Reality and
FIMC-VI is in Your Village”
	Kay Ratzlaff, Supervisor, Florida Instructional Materials Center for
the Visually Impaired.

11:15 AM	PAC Plan Report
	Jorge Hernandez, Chair, NFB of Florida PAC Plan Committee

11:20 AM	Fundraising Report
	Paul Martinez, Chair, NFB of Florida Fund Raising Committee

11:25 AM	NFB of Florida Committee to Empower Underserve Populations Report
	Marilyn Baldwin, Chair, Committee to Empower Underserved Populations

11:30 am 	KNFB Reader Update
	Jorge Hernandez, KNFB Reader

11:35 am 	Communications Committee Update
	Miranda Kilby, Chair, NFB of Florida

11:40 am 	Announcements

11:45 am 	Adjournment

12:00 noon to 1:00 pm	Lunch Break

12:00 noon to 12:50 pm 	Chapter and Division Secretaries Working Lunch
	Tampa Bay Room
	Facilitator: Sylvia Young, Secretary, NFB of Florida

12:00 noon to 12:50 pm 	Chapter and Division Treasurers Working Lunch
	(Add location)
	Facilitator: Gloria Mills Hicks, Treasurer, NFB of Florida

12:00 noon to 5:00 pm	Exhibit Hall
	(Final Opportunity!)
	Bay Shore Ballroom

Sunday General Interest Seminars
1:00 pm to 4:50 pm

1:00 pm to 2:45 pm	"Independence Starts in the Home" Florida Parents
of Blind Children
	Gasparilla Ballroom 4
	Pam Allen, Executive Director, Louisiana Center for the Blind, First
Vice President, National Federation of the Blind
	Kay Ratzlaff, Supervisor, Florida Instructional Materials Center for
the Visually Impaired.
Come learn about the important components of the Expanded Core
Curriculum and how to plant seeds of independence in your child’s home
and school environments to ensure our blind children grow into
independent skillful blind adults.

1:00 pm to 2:45 PM	Know Before You Go
	Gasparilla Ballrooms 1 and 2
	Facilitator: Nicole Fincham-Shehan, West Palm Beach Chapter
Come and learn tips on being an informed paratransit user.

1:00 pm to 2:50 pm	NFB 101
	Gasparilla Ballroom 3
	Facilitators: Kathy Davis, Past President, NFB of Florida and Dan
Hicks, Immediate Past President, NFB of Florida
Come and learn the history of the National Federation of the Blind.

3:10 PM to 3:45 PM	NFB Book Club
	Gasparilla Ballroom 3
	Facilitator: Camille Tate, Board Member, NFB of Florida
Are you new to the National Federation of the Blind? Would you like to
learn your NFB philosophy? Come and join our book club and discussion
group. We will be going over the speech, “The Role of the Blind in a
Democratic Society” by Dr. Jacobus Tenbroek. All speeches can be found
at nfb.org.

4:05 PM to 4:50 PM	NFB-Newsline®
	Gasparilla 3 Ballroom
	Facilitator: Russ Davis, Chair, NFB of Florida Newsline®
Join us for a fun fill 101 on Newsline. Learn what’s new and how
navigating is easy.  Not a subscriber? Get signed up for free, and
have your questions answered.

3:00 pm to 4:50 pm 	NFBF Committee to Empower Underserved Populations
	Gasparilla Ballroom 4
	Facilitator: Marilyn Baldwin, Chair, NFBF Committee to Empower
Underserved Populations
The goal of this Seminar is to discuss the different types of mental
health disabilities, and to help people locate resources for
themselves or others living with mental illness including depression
and opioid abuse. There will also be a short business meeting of the
Empowerment committee.

Convention Banquet
7:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Gasparilla Ballroom

7:00 pm 	Call to Order and Remarks
	Denise Valkema, President, NFB of Florida

7:05 pm 	Welcome and Introductions
	Lauren Blum, Master of Ceremonies

7:10 pm	Invocation
	James E. Young, Board Member, Tallahassee Chapter

 7:15 pm	Introduction of Head Tables
	Lauren Blum, Master of Ceremonies

7:30 pm	Keynote Address
	Pam Allen, First vice President, National Federation of the Blind,
President, NFB of Louisiana

8:20 pm 	Presentation of 2018 NFB of Florida Scholarship Winners
	Paul Martinez, Chair, NFB of Florida 2017 Scholarship Committee

8:50 pm 	Pledges, Presentations and Announcements

9: 25 PM 	Special Recognition Awards
	Sylvia Young, Chair, Special Awards Committee

9:45 pm 	Adjournment

Monday, May 28th

7:00 am 	Nominating Committee
	Tampa Bay Room
	Delegates only
	Miranda Kilby, Chair, Nominating Committee

General Business Session
8:00 am to 11:00 am
Gasparilla Ballrooms 1 and 2

8:00 am 	Call to Order
	Denise Valkema, President, NFB of Florida

8:02 am 	Invocation
Maralyn Baldwin, Vice President, Central Florida Chapter
8:05 am 	Memorial Day Observance TBA

8:20 AM 	Treasurer’s Report
	Gloria Mills Hicks, Treasurer, NFB of Florida

8:30 am 	Nominating Committee Report
	Miranda Kilby, Chair, NFB of Florida Nominating Committee

8:35 am 	Elections
	Denise Valkema, President, NFB of Florida

9:55 am 	Resolutions Committee Report
	Merry Schoch and Camille Tate, co-Chairs, Resolutions Committee

10:15 am 	Florida Association of Blind Students (FABS) Report
	Newly Elected FABS Board Members

10:20 am 	Final Remarks
	Pam Allen, First Vice President, National Federation of the Blind,
President, NFB of Louisiana

10:30 am 	Announcements

10:35 am 	Adjournment

Officers and Board of Directors
Denise Valkema, President
Paul Martinez, First Vice President
Miranda Kilby, Second Vice president
Sylvia Young, Secretary
Gloria Mills Hicks, Treasurer
Board Members:
Tekesha Saffold
Jorge Hernandez
Camille Tate
Rafael Fernandez

The National Federation of the Blind of Florida thanks the Suncoast
Chapter and the Tampa Bay Chapter, the 2018 Events Committee, and
everyone else for their dedication and hard work organizing the 2018
state convention.  On behalf of the National Federation of the blind
of Florida, we thank you for joining us at our 2018 state convention.
We would like to acknowledge all our sponsors for their generous
donations which made the 2018 state convention a great success, as
well as everyone who contributed to the development process. The NFB
OF FLORIDA also extends our appreciation to President Mark Riccobono
and the Jernigan Institute for all of their support throughout the
year.  We look forward to continuing to work with all of you in 2018.
Let’s Go build the Federation!
Sincerely,
Denise Valkema, President

Chapters, Divisions, Committees, and Groups
Presidents:
State Affiliate - Denise Valkema, (305) 972-8529, dvalkema at bellsouth.net

Chapters:
Greater Broward - Jake McEntyre, (954) 946-4148, jmac1920 at yahoo.com
Central Florida - Sherry Brun, (407) 898 6024,
flmom2006 at gmail.com
Greater Daytona Beach - Joshua Espinal, (407) 534-0160,
joshua.espinal at everest.edu
Gainesville - Judy Hamilton (352) 373-7806, jrhamilton51 at earthlink.net
Greater Jacksonville - Marita Winston (904) 323-8597, marita.winston60 at gmail.com
Melbourne-Space Coast - Camille Tate, (321) 372-4899, Ctate2076 at att.net
Miami - Jorge Hernandez, (305) 877-2311, jeh1065 at bellsouth.netj
Palm Beach - Tekesha Saffold, (561) 707-4799, tnsaffold82 at gmail.com
Polk - Joe King, (863) 293-5648, joenkitty at earthlink.net
State-Wide - Paul Martinez (813) 390-5720, paul09ms at gmail.com
Suncoast - Lauren Blum, (352) 584-0795, laurenblum79 at gmail.com
Tallahassee - Jada Christie, (850) 766-9378, emeraldpink15 at gmail.com
Tampa Bay - Miranda Kilby, (352) 942-0417, mbkilby at gmail.com
Treasure Coast - Tameka Butts (386) 348-0393, tameka76butts at gmail.com

Divisions:
Deaf Blind - Alicia Betancourt (386) 589-7324, licib85 at gmail.com
Florida Guide Dog Users - Sherrill O’Brien (813) 935-0474, flagdu at nfbflorida.org
Parents of Blind Children - Cherice Togun (407) 257-7637,
chericeflemingtogun at hotmail.com

Committees/ Groups:
Blind Parents of Children - Nicole Fincham-Shehan (410) 493-4461,
nicoledfincham at yahoo.com
Empowerment - Marilyn Baldwin (407) 293-0565, commMDB at aol.com
Senior Concerns – Gloria Mills Hicks (813) 340-9750, Glorianfb at irescuetax.com
Students - Rafael Fernandez (305) 903-6299, rafael.fernandez0617 at gmail.com
Bell Academy - Kimberly Banks (404) 259-2651, Kimberlybanks1984 at gmail.com
Legislation - Merry Schoch, (813) 523-6573, merrys at verizon.net
              Camille Tate, (321) 372-4899, Ctate2076 at att.net
Book Club - Camille Tate, (321) 372-4899, Ctate2076 at att.net
Newsline - Russ Davis, (904) 993-8433, Russell at radiorusty.com

--
Miranda B. Kilby, Second Vice President National Federation of the
Blind of Florida

President
Tampa Bay Chapter, National Federation of the Blind of Florida
Ph: (352)942-0417
The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind.
Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they
want.