[Nfbf-l] Scholarship Program | National Federation of the Blind

Denise valkemadenise at aol.com
Mon Jan 7 11:54:37 UTC 2019

Please share about our national student scholarship program with students and anyone that could share with students so we have more students apply from Florida. The link is below and information pasted below the link for your convenience.

https://nfb.org/programs/scholarship-program

holarship Program
The National Federation of the Blind's annual scholarship program is the largest of its kind in the nation.

Every year, we award more than $120,000 to blind scholars across the United States and Puerto Rico in recognition of their achievements and professional aspirations.

The 2019 scholarship application is now open and will be available online through March 31. Please see below for additional information.

Thanks to our generous partners, there are thirty merit-based scholarships currently available, ranging from $3,000 to $12,000. All scholarships are awarded based on academic excellence, community service, and leadership.

The finalists are announced every spring. They attend our national convention in July when the winners of each individual scholarship are selected.

Winners have gone on to succeed in careers ranging from computer science and engineering to civil rights law and international diplomacy.

Recent Scholarship Winners
2018 winners
Past Scholarship Winners
2017 winners (Braille Monitor, August-September)
2016 winners (Braille Monitor, August-September)
2016 winners (National Association of Blind Students)
2015 winners (Braille Monitor, August-September)
2014 winners (Braille Monitor, August-September)
2013 winners (Braille Monitor, August-September)
2012 winners (Braille Monitor, August-September)
2011 winners (Braille Monitor, August-September)
Application Information
Deadline
For the 2019 awards, application materials will be available beginning November 1, 2018 and will be due by midnight Eastern Time on March 31, 2019 (either submitted online or postmarked).

Eligibility Requirements
The following requirements apply to all applicants:

Must be legally blind (PDF) in both eyes.
Must be residing in the United States, the District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico.
Must be pursuing or planning to pursue a full-time, post-secondary course of study in a degree program at a U.S. institution in the fall of the year of application (one scholarship may be given to a person employed full-time while attending school part-time).
Must participate in the entire NFB national convention and in all of its scheduled scholarship program activities (finalists will receive assistance to attend the national convention).
How to Apply
Confirm your eligibility by confirming you are legally blind (PDF) in both eyes.
Apply online or through the mail.
Online Scholarship Application Form (please note that if a PDF file will not upload to the online form, you can attach it to an email and send it to scholarships at nfb.org)
Print Scholarship Application Form
Helpful Resources
List of Scholarships
"Self-Advocacy in Higher Education" (Word) by President Mark Riccobono
College Scholarships and Financial Aid for Students with Disabilities (Affordable Colleges Online)
Helping Students With Visual Disabilities: Resources, Tools And Technology To Foster School Success (Accredited Schools Online)
Contact Information
If you have questions or need more information, please contact our scholarship committee chairperson (email is preferred).

Cayte Mendez, Chairperson
NFB Scholarship Committee
Email: scholarships at nfb.org
Phone: 410-659-9314, extension 2415

NFB Scholarship Program
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, MD 21230

Thanks,
Denise Valkema, President  National Federation of the Blind of Florida
(305)972-8529
president at nfbflorida.org
www.nfbflorida.org
Follow us @nfbflorida