[NFBF-L] Notes from Legislative Committee Call 01-21-2020

ctate2076 at att.net ctate2076 at att.net
Wed Jan 22 23:29:44 UTC 2020

Hi Everyone:

In light of the issues everyone had calling into our Legislative Committee
call last night, here are some notes.

John Pare and Stephanie from our Advocacy and Policy office were the guest
speakers. They spoke about our legislative priorities and how we do our
presentations while visiting House and Senate members. John also advised
that while these are our priorities this year, we still work on other
issues, like Transformation to Competitive Employment Act and Autonomous
Vehicles. We are still working on protecting the rights of guide dog users
on airplanes in addition to others. John also talked about our Federation
activities on Monday, with our Great Gathering in at 5 p.m. at the Capitol
Inn; President Riccobono talks about what we have been doing legislatively
and includes a guest speaker. He urges everyone to come to the training at 4
p.m. in the same room as the Great Gathering In, where new people will
benefit from activities like the mock meeting. Tuesday is assumed to be the
day of the bulk of our meetings. The Congressional Reception will be in the
Russell Senate Office building in the Kennedy Caucus Room, S 325. Wednesday
will be additional meetings, with a final meeting at 6 p.m. (not required
for members of the delegation) in the Capitol Ballroom to wrap up the
Seminar.

John advised that our meetings may be with staff members and not the
Representative or Senator. It is a normal practice. The most effective way
we have presented our priorities is to first discuss what the problem is. We
will be given cheat sheets that will list whether each Representative or
Senator has co-sponsored a bill, in which case you thank them for their
support and move on to the next issue. With Access Technology Affordability
Act, the problem is that access to the technology like Braille displays,
screen reader software or other equipment that gives us access is expensive.
John used the examples of Braille displays costing anywhere from $500 to
$2000 and screen readers, like JAWS, costing $1000. The high cost of these
products and others like them is keeping blind people from purchasing them
and being able to use them to do well in things like school or work. Then
you give the solution: the bill has a specifically defined definition of
what this technology is, like Braille displays and screen reader software;
not things like computers or cellular devices. The bill allows blind people
to purchase this equipment.

Stephanie spoke about the Greater Access and Independence Through Non-Visual
Access Technology Act. Again, identifying the problem is the first step. The
problem is that home appliances, like stoves/ovens, laundry machines,
dishwashers and others, are increasingly non-accessible because they use
flat panel displays that are not tactile. Home use medical equipment, like
blood glucose monitors are also becoming more inaccessible. Fitness
equipment is the same. Tell a story about how the lack of accessibility
hinders your or someone else's ability to use these types of equipment
independently and effectively. The solution to the problem is the GAIN Act,
calls on the Access Board to create non visual accessibility standards for
the above referenced machinery and devices. The FDA will oversee the home
use medical devices and FTC will oversee the exercise equipment and home
appliances.

Stephanie also talked about Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher
Education Act. The problem to identify here is that blind students are
increasingly left out of the digital classroom due to course materials and
online classroom platforms because the content is not accessible. Although
there are alternatives to online classroom materials in an alternate format,
it often leads the student to be way behind their peers in the class. The
solution is in this bill, it establishes a commission to develop voluntary
accessibility guidelines for post-secondary institutions. The NFB has worked
with the American Council on Education, American Association of Publishers
and various other entities involved in providing education and educational
materials to institutions of higher learning.

This is just a snapshot of the call on Tuesday night. Please feel free to
reach out to myself or Merry Schoch with any questions.

Warmly,

Camille

John also emphasized that all members of the affiliate can participate in
Washington Seminar by contacting their members of Congress and asking them
to support these pieces of legislation. The same format can be followed as
above. Those who contact via email or phone can express how important the
legislation is to them and why.

Sincerely,

Camille Tate

President, Melbourne Space Coast Chapter, National Federation of the Blind,
FL

Board of Directors, National Federation of the Blind, FL

Email: ctate2076 at att.net <mailto:ctate2076 at att.net>

Phone: 321 372 4899