[NFBF-L] for your information

merrys at verizon.net merrys at verizon.net
Wed Mar 11 13:54:55 UTC 2020

Dear Federation Family,

This semester I am instructing a class at USF called Health, Illness, and
Disability.  The textbook and resources provided has a great outlook on
blindness and disabilities as a whole.  This morning I am preparing a four
chapter quiz and one of the chapters is on blindness.  I thought I'd share
five of the questions I have chose for my students.  The NFB has been
mentioned in the textbook which made me smile.  From the questions below
you'll be able to recognize the influence the NFB has had on the course.

6. The social stigma tied to blindness

a. has minor impact on the lives of individuals experiencing loss of vision.

*b. is impacted by the general public's fear of the disability.

c. can be easily overcome by personal accomplishment.

d. reflects to a large degree the reality of being blind.

8. Many people who are blind

a. see it as a devastating situation and want to die.

b. see themselves as basically normal with a physical nuisance at best.

c. internalize some of the stereotypes held by the general population.

*d.  both b and c, but not a

9. Social service agencies that work with blind folks sometimes

a. are the last hope for a dependent population.

b. refer them to shelter workshops as a routine matter.

*c. unknowingly teach blind folks to behave like blind folks.

d. make it the stated mission of the organization to teach dependency and
welfare behavior.

12. The medical model approach to treating blind individuals

a. is accepted by all the major advocacy groups tied into empowerment.

b. finds no home with the vast majority of agencies working with blind
folks.

c. is really the only practical approach in treating people who are blind.

*d. is a point of contention with several large organizations representing
people who are blind.

18. People who are blind

a. cannot work as computer programmers.

b. cannot work as carpenters.

c. cannot work as electronic technicians.

*d. none of the above

Wishing you all a great day!

Merry