[NFBF-L] Braille monitor article

townsend.lcsw at gmail.com townsend.lcsw at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 17:29:24 UTC 2020

Greetings:

I recall in the 1970s, while a grad student doing field work, I met a blind man at a hospital’s lunch counter several times.  He described blind people as either “super blind” or “normal blind.”  I had been involved with the NFB largely through the Braille Monitor and a small student division in Boston.  Although he was working at the hospital as an X-ray tech and working out on his treadmill, he considered himself as “normal” and me as “super” as I was living independently and moving forward towards a career.  I considered him as more than normal as he knew and used braille, had an exercise routine and a job.  I was inspired by him and ended up running in 5 NYC marathons, learning braille and obtaining jobs.

As a psychotherapist, I have frequently been inspired by my clients, we never know who might be inspired by us.

'Live the life you want,' is based on the concept that virtually anything we dream can come true.  It sounds a lot like the ‘American Dream.’  I like it much.

JD Townsend, LCSW
Helping the Light Dependent to See.
Daytona Beach, Florida