[NFBF-L] FW: Letter from President Walton

PLipovsky plipovsky at cfl.rr.com
Mon Mar 23 14:31:03 UTC 2020

Thought I would share this.

March 21, 2020

To:     All Congregations in the FLGA District

 From: Rev. Dr. Gregory S. Walton, President

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Lenten greetings in the name of Jesus, the One who has victory over sin,
death and even disease!

We are living in an unprecedented time that has many living in fear and
feeling anxiety. Our true comfort can be found in the promises of Jesus. He
is the Great Physician, and we can trust in Him even when the foundations of
life seem to be shaking. Let me encourage you during these days to look to
Him who says to us, "Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God;
believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so,
would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?" John 14:1.

The recent outbreak of the COVID-19 virus points us in a very dramatic way
to our Lenten journey. For Jesus it was a journey filled with sacrifice,
pain, and ultimately death. However, death could not hold Him, and because
of His Resurrection we can be confident that death (or disease) cannot
defeat us either.

At this time we are strongly encouraging, based on the best advice from
Government and Medical personnel, that congregations refrain from gathering
at a church building for worship, even in small groups. This is a voluntary
self monitoring now, but it may not be long before we find ourselves in the
same predicament as New York and California, where restrictions are not
optional. We are doing our best to equip pastors with tools to deliver God's
Word in a variety of new, electronic, ways at a critical time that does not
endanger people, especially as the numbers of infected people rise in both
Florida and Georgia. What this means is that many of us will potentially
experience a very different kind of Sunday worship which may include our
Easter celebration this year. Rather than gathering in our local church
buildings, we will need to remain in smaller groups, practicing social
distancing. Perhaps this is an opportunity for each of us to explore the
difference between "going" to church and "being" the church. While we know
the Church is God's gathered people, we have often allowed it to become
associated with a building facility. We remain the Church by virtue of our
faith in Jesus! Is God forcing us to discover a new paradigm for worship?
This remains to be seen.

Let me encourage you to consider how you might continue to "do" ministry in
this unique time.

.      First, be in prayer. Pray for God's intervention, pray for first
responders, medical personnel, government officials and all who have
responsibilities during these days. Pray for our pastors, teachers and other
workers who seek to learn how best to provide spiritual care within the
confines of proper care. Pray for those who are experiencing financial
challenges due to current restrictions.

*     Spend more time in God's Word, seeking His direction and peace rather
than binge watching Netflix or any number of popular shows. The District
Website has posted a number of helpful resources to enable you to do this.
We also have online services, daily devotions, and encouragement. Reread the
Small Catechism-you'll be amazed at how relevant it really is! While the
internet is flooded with information about the COVID-19 pandemic, we have
tried to provide updated and relevant information on our web page for our
members and friends.

*     Continue to pray for and financially support your local congregation.
This is a critical time for congregations, and your continued financial
support is extremely important. Without it many congregations may not
survive this crisis. There are a number of ways to give on-line, and many of
our congregations already have this in place. For those that do not, there
is information on our website to help establish this. If you need assistance
call Jay Wendland or Laura Zirbel in our office (407-857-5556).

*     Let me also encourage you to stay active. Take walks, practicing
social distancing, exercise, eat well and get rest. If you begin to feel
sick, take the proper precautions. While you need to stay connected and
aware of the latest news, take care not to allow yourself to become overly
consumed with the news. Read a book or find another way to distract yourself
for a bit of a sabbatical from the crisis all around us. Sing a hymn! Write
some letters or emails to loved ones. As frustrating as it may seem, this
time can really a gift to focus on strengthening our walk with Jesus.

*     Be sure to follow the CDC guidelines and the Government mandates. You
can get updates on-line and on the media. God put the Government in place
for our good, and, to date, I have not heard any agency seeking to restrict
the Church or the free course of God's Word. The call is for cooperation,
not limitation. As frustrating as it may seem to be confined, we need to be
a partner in our communities for the greater good and as a witness for
Jesus.

We trust our Lord to care for us, but at the same time, this is an
opportunity for every believer to shine the light of Jesus in their
neighborhood. Check on neighbors, help with making sure those who are
elderly have necessary groceries, do all you can to help "flatten" the
curve, and reduce the impact of this killer virus. Each of us can make a
difference by simply staying home and keeping our distance for the sake of
everyone's health. While isolating seems counterintuitive, it is the best
thing that can be done to protect and show care for souls.

Through it all, know that we are working together on behalf of all our
ministries and members to provide resources and information to help us all
get through this together. Be at peace. God is still Sovereign and He will
never leave us nor forsake us. As Paul reminded the Philippian Church, "Do
not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication
with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of
God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your
minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7.

Your fellow servant in Jesus,

Rev. Dr. Gregory S. Walton, President

The Florida-Georgia District, LCMS