[Nfbkabs] FW: NFBK - [Fwd: National Federation of the Blind and American Council of the Blind File Discrimination Suit Against Arizona State University] [1 Attachment]

Shannon Caldwell sjgc14 at windstream.net
Sat Jun 27 01:42:42 UTC 2009

FYI

Sharing!

Shannon Caldwell

-----Original Message-----
From: NFBK at yahoogroups.com [mailto:NFBK at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
cathyj at iglou.com
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2009 4:01 PM
To: nfbk at yahoogroups.com
Subject: NFBK - [Fwd: National Federation of the Blind and American Council
of the Blind File Discrimination Suit Against Arizona State University] [1
Attachment]

[Attachment(s) from cathyj at iglou.com included below]

Subject: National Federation of the Blind and American Council of the
Blind File Discrimination Suit Against Arizona State University
From: "Freeh, Jessica" <JFreeh at nfb.org <mailto:JFreeh%40nfb.org> >
Date: Thu, June 25, 2009 15:58

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb. <mailto:cdanielsen%40nfb.org> org

National Federation of the Blind and American Council of the Blind
File Discrimination Suit Against Arizona State University

University's Amazon Kindle DX Pilot Program Discriminates Against the
Blind

Baltimore, Maryland (June 25, 2009): The National Federation of the
Blind (NFB) and the American Council of the Blind (ACB) filed suit today
against Arizona State University (ASU) to prevent the university from
deploying Amazon's Kindle DX electronic reading device as a means of
distributing electronic textbooks to its students because the device
cannot be used by blind students. Darrell Shandrow, a blind ASU
student, is also a named plaintiff in the action. The Kindle DX
features text-to-speech technology that can read textbooks aloud to
blind students. The menus of the device are not accessible to the
blind, however, making it impossible for a blind user to purchase books
from Amazon's Kindle store, select a book to read, activate the
text-to-speech feature, and use the advanced reading functions available
on the Kindle DX. In addition to ASU, five other institutions of higher
education are deploying the Kindle DX as part of a pilot project to
assess the role of electronic textbooks and reading devices in the
classroom. The NFB and ACB have also filed complaints with the Office
for Civil Rights of the U.S. Department of Education and the Civil
Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice, asking for
investigations of these five institutions, which are: Case Western
Reserve University, the Darden School of Business at the University of
Virginia, Pace University, Princeton University, and Reed College. The
lawsuit and complaints allege violations of the Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "Given the highly-advanced technology involved, there is no good
reason that Amazon's Kindle DX device should be inaccessible to blind
students. Amazon could have used the same text-to-speech technology
that reads e-books on the device aloud to make its menus accessible to
the blind, but it chose not to do so. Worse yet, six American higher
education institutions that are subject to federal laws requiring that
they not discriminate against students with disabilities plan to deploy
this device, even though they know that it cannot be used by blind
students. The National Federation of the Blind will not tolerate this
unconscionable discrimination against and callous indifference to the
right of blind students to receive an equal education. We hope that
this situation can be rectified in a manner that allows this exciting
new reading technology to be made available to blind and sighted
students alike."

Darrell Shandrow, a blind student pursuing a degree in journalism at
ASU, said: "Not having access to the advanced reading features of the
Kindle DX-including the ability to download books and course materials,
add my own bookmarks and notes, and look up supplemental information
instantly on the Internet when I encounter it in my reading-will lock me
out of this new technology and put me and other blind students at a
competitive disadvantage relative to our sighted peers. While my peers
will have instant access to their course materials in electronic form, I
will still have to wait weeks or months for accessible texts to be
prepared for me, and these texts will not provide the access and
features available to other students. That is why I am standing up for
myself and with other blind Americans to end this blatant
discrimination."

###

__._,_.___

Attachment(s) from cathyj at iglou.com

1 of 1 File(s)

  <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/doc/html16x16.gif>
<http://d.yimg.com/kq/groups/3335664/239426899/name/untitled-%5B2%5D>
untitled-[2]

k3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMzMzU2NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTM2MzgyBG1zZ0lkAzU0NzEEc2VjA2
Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMjQ2MDQ2NDkzBHRwY0lkAzU0NzE-> Messages in this
topic (1)
E0BGdycElkAzMzMzU2NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTM2MzgyBG1zZ0lkAzU0NzEEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbG
sDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMjQ2MDQ2NDkz?act=reply&messageNum=5471> Reply (via web
post) |
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NFBK/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlYnVmMzlzBF9TAzk3MzU5Nz
E0BGdycElkAzMzMzU2NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTM2MzgyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbW
UDMTI0NjA0NjQ5Mw--> Start a new topic

Messages
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NFBK/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaGI3dm5mBF9TAzk3Mz
U5NzE0BGdycElkAzMzMzU2NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTM2MzgyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA21zZ3MEc3
RpbWUDMTI0NjA0NjQ5Mw-->  | Files
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NFBK/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZ3NsZmNsBF9TAzk3MzU5N
zE0BGdycElkAzMzMzU2NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTM2MzgyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2ZpbGVzBHN0a
W1lAzEyNDYwNDY0OTM->  | Photos
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NFBK/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJlajR2YnBiBF9TAzk3MzU5
NzE0BGdycElkAzMzMzU2NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTM2MzgyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Bob3QEc3Rp
bWUDMTI0NjA0NjQ5Mw-->  | Links
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NFBK/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJmb2pqZWo4BF9TAzk3MzU5N
zE0BGdycElkAzMzMzU2NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTM2MzgyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2xpbmtzBHN0a
W1lAzEyNDYwNDY0OTM->  | Database
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NFBK/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJjMDZ2Z2JhBF9TAzk3Mz
U5NzE0BGdycElkAzMzMzU2NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTM2MzgyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2RiBHN0aW
1lAzEyNDYwNDY0OTM->  | Polls
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NFBK/polls;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbmd0b210BF9TAzk3MzU5N
zE0BGdycElkAzMzMzU2NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTM2MzgyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3BvbGxzBHN0a
W1lAzEyNDYwNDY0OTM->  | Members
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NFBK/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJlcmkwYzVyBF9TAzk3MzU
5NzE0BGdycElkAzMzMzU2NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTM2MzgyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA21icnMEc3R
pbWUDMTI0NjA0NjQ5Mw-->  | Calendar
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NFBK/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJkanJwYzJzBF9TAzk3Mz
U5NzE0BGdycElkAzMzMzU2NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTM2MzgyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2NhbARzdG
ltZQMxMjQ2MDQ2NDkz>

If you know of someone who wants to join this group.  Have them
send an e-mail to:  NFBK-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
If you no longer wish to receive these messages, send a blank e-mail to
NFBK-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com .  For those without e-mail, please have
them cal (502) 4 9 5 - 7 1 3 0 for the NFB of Greater Louisville's Automated
Information System.

zU2NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTM2MzgyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMjQ2MDQ2NDkz>
Yahoo! Groups
Change
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NFBK/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmM3VwZjExBF9TAzk3MzU5Nz
E0BGdycElkAzMzMzU2NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTM2MzgyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBHN0aW
1lAzEyNDYwNDY0OTM->  settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch
<mailto:NFBK-digest at yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
delivery to Daily Digest | Switch
<mailto:NFBK-traditional at yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:
%20Traditional>  format to Traditional
Visit
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NFBK;_ylc=X3oDMTJkMzlsOHNmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGd
ycElkAzMzMzU2NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTM2MzgyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQMxMjQ
2MDQ2NDkz>  Your Group | Yahoo! Groups <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
Terms of Use | Unsubscribe
<mailto:NFBK-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com?subject=>

Recent Activity

Visit
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NFBK;_ylc=X3oDMTJlcW1rZG5nBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGd
ycElkAzMzMzU2NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTM2MzgyBHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTI
0NjA0NjQ5Mw-->  Your Group

Give Back

<http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJtNHNuamtvBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzEEZ3JwSW
QDMzMzNTY2NARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMzYzODIEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawNicmFuZARzdGltZQMxMj
Q2MDQ2NDkz;_ylg=1/SIG=11314uv3k/**http%3A/brand.yahoo.com/forgood> Yahoo!
for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

<http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJvY29tMGVwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzIEZ3JwSW
QDMzMzNTY2NARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMzYzODIEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawN0b29sYmFyBHN0aW1lAz
EyNDYwNDY0OTM-;_ylg=1/SIG=11c6dvmk9/**http%3A/toolbar.yahoo.com/%3F.cpdl=ygr
ps> Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Z3JwSWQDMzMzNTY2NARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMzYzODIEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawNncm91cHMyBHN0
aW1lAzEyNDYwNDY0OTM-> Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=3335664/grpspId=1705136382/msgId
=5471/stime=1246046493/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

  _____

avast! <http://www.avast.com>  Antivirus: Inbound message clean.

Virus Database (VPS): 090626-0, 06/26/2009
Tested on: 6/26/2009 6:39:28 PM