[Nfbkabs] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] Start Your Engines at the Rolex 24 at Daytona!

Shannon Caldwell sjgc14 at windstream.net
Fri Oct 22 01:44:46 UTC 2010

FYI

Sharing this with you.

Shannon Caldwell

Sjgc14 at windstream.net

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org
[mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of David Andrews
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:42 PM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] Start Your Engines at the Rolex 24 at
Daytona!

The National Federation of the Blind will soon hold the first public
demonstration of work conducted under our Blind Driver Challenge initiative!
In a few short months, we will debut our prototype nonvisual interface that
will empower a blind person to drive a car without sighted assistance in
front of tens of thousands of fans before the start of the Rolex 24 at
Daytona!  We hope you'll join us at the Daytona International Speedway on
January 29, 2011, for this historic occasion for the Federation!

The Rolex weekend generates a lot of traffic in Daytona Beach.  In order to
make it possible for our members to attend, we have negotiated special hotel
rates and secured discounted ticket prices for the race.  Information
regarding the hotel, event tickets, transportation, and more is below.

Lodging:

Discounted lodging has been negotiated at three adjacent hotel properties.
A minimum stay of two nights for January 28-30, 2011 is required to take
advantage of the discounted rate.  Prices listed are available as long as
rooms are available under our block.

1.     Plaza Ocean Club Hotel (640 North Atlantic Avenue, Daytona Beach):
Rooms are available at a cost of $103 and $149 for ocean front rooms.  This
will be the central location of activity; it is between the two hotels
listed below, which are a quick walk away).  Meetings throughout the weekend
will take place in the ballroom of this hotel.  To make a reservation,
please call (386) 239-9800 and ask for the National Federation of the Blind
pricing.

2.     Plaza Resort and Spa (600 North Atlantic Avenue Daytona Beach):
Rooms are available at a cost of $129 and $169 for ocean front rooms.  This
is an upscale hotel and there is an additional $12 resort fee for those who
stay at this hotel.  To make a reservation, please call (386) 255-4471 and
ask for the National Federation of the Blind pricing.

3.     Conch House (700 North Atlantic Avenue, Daytona Beach):  Rooms are
available at a cost of $49 and $59 for ocean front rooms.  We negotiated
this less-expensive option for those who are working on a tight budget.
Please note that there is an additional $3.00-plus-tax per-day parking fee
on this property.  To make a reservation, please call (386) 255-3411 and ask
for the National Federation of the Blind pricing.

o         All rates are based on single/double/tri/quad occupancy.  The
additional guest charge is $10.00 for the fifth guest.
o         Rollaways are available for a fee of $10.00-plus-tax per night.
o         Bellman gratuities are $2.00 per person or $4.00 per room.  Guests
must request this service at the time of reservation.
o         In-room safes are available for use at $1.50 per night, plus tax.
o         Local and 800 calls are $1.00.
o         The present room tax rate is 12.5%.
o         Reservations require an advance deposit equal to the first night's
room and tax, and can be paid by check or credit card.  Please note that
checks must include the individual's birth date, driver's
license/identification state, and license/identification number.  Please
note that personal checks may only be submitted as payment prior to December
29, 2010, and will not be accepted at checkout.  American Express,
MasterCard, Visa, Diners Club, Discover, traveler’s checks, and cash are
accepted at checkout.
o         Cancellations less than seven days prior to the arrival date, or
those who do not check in before midnight on the first day, will forfeit
their first night's room and tax, and the room will be released.
o         Please make your reservations by December 29, 2010.

Race Tickets:

Race Rewards Package ($30 per person):
Tickets can be purchased by calling 1-800-PITSHOP (1-800-748-7467) by
January 23, 2011.
Includes infield and general admission for January 29-30, Rolex Series
garage access, and $10 in Daytona Dollars (which are redeemable at any
Daytona International Speedway concession stand).  This does not include
infield parking.  Transportation for our members from the hotel, to the
track, and back will be provided for Saturday, January 29.

Speed Insider Package ($119 per person):
Tickets can be purchased by calling 1-800-PITSHOP (1-800-748-7467) by
January 23, 2011.
Includes single admission Pit Road Patio Access providing admission into the
Speed Pit Road Patios overlooking Pit Road for January 29-30, general
admission access throughout the infield grandstands, Rolex Series garage
access, Rolex 24 at Daytona hat, and lunch on Saturday.  Infield parking is
available (one pass for every four tickets purchased).

Please note that a $14 processing fee will be added to your order, so
attendees can reduce costs by ordering tickets in groups.  Also please be
aware that, while there is a will-call option, race day will be quite busy,
and since the price is the same to have tickets shipped, we urge attendees
to have their tickets mailed to them.  Attendees can also purchase with
their order a Daytona International Speedway Cap, a Daytona International
Speedway Credential Holder, and the Café 24 Breakfast Garage tickets (note
that we will not be providing transportation to this accommodate this
option).

Transportation:

Airport:

o         Those traveling out of the Daytona Beach International Airport
have a number of taxi and shuttle services to choose from.  For more
information, please go to www.flydaytonafirst.com/default.htm and search for
taxis and/or shuttles.
o         We recommend those traveling out of the Orlando International
Airport use DoShuttle, which travels between the Daytona Beach and Orlando
airports.  Rates are $32 one way and $59 round trip per person.  The extra
fee for door-to-door service to our hotels is $10 each way per group.
Shuttles depart the airport every two hours.  For more information and
reservations, please call (866) 947-9947 or visit www.doshuttle.com
<http://www.doshuttle.com/> .

Race Day:

Pick-up for attendees wanting transportation to Daytona International
Speedway on Saturday, January 29, will be at the Plaza Ocean Club Hotel.
Buses will arrive at the track two hours prior to the scheduled time of the
demonstration (which is yet to be determined).  The buses will return to the
hotel after the conclusion of the demonstration.  Some buses will leave the
track two hours after the event and others will leave the track four hours
after the event.

Gatherings:

On the evening before the race, members are invited to gather in the
ballroom of the Plaza Ocean Club Hotel for an update on organizational
matters.  Topics of discussion will be the logistics for the Blind Driver
Challenge demonstration, the Imagination Fund campaign, and the Text2Give
program.  The race environment will be quite thrilling, but very busy, so we
encourage all race attendees to come to this session.

A Member Activity Area at the Daytona Speedway will be open on Friday from
10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Sunday from 8 a.m. to
3 p.m.  The second Blind Driver Challenge vehicle will be on display in this
area, as well as information on Text2Give, bumper sticker and keychain
giveaways, and other fun surprises!

A press conference will be held immediately after the track demonstration of
the Blind Driver Challenge vehicle, which we would like for all members to
attend.  More information regarding this part of the event will be
distributed at the meeting on Friday evening.

Finally, another gathering will take place on Saturday evening in the
ballroom of the Plaza Ocean Club Hotel to celebrate the events of the day!

Stay tuned for more updates as we approach the Rolex 24 at Daytona!  We hope
to see you there in January!

For more information on logistics for the Rolex 24 at Daytona, please
contact Kristian Kuhnke at (410) 659-9314, extension 2219, or bdc at nfb.org.
For more information about the NFB Blind Driver Challenge visit our website
at blinddriverchallenge at nfb.org.

Sincerely,

John

John G. Paré Jr.
Executive Director for Strategic Initiatives
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, Maryland  21230
Telephone:  (410) 659-9314, ext. 2227