[nfbmi-talk] Michigan Commission for the Blind Public Comment

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 17 05:23:42 UTC 2010

I understand there was a request for me to post my public comment from last week’s Commission Board meeting. Here is the comment as I submitted it:

I regret that I am not able to attend today’s meeting, so I deeply appreciate the opportunity to submit my public comments through email. I believe this shows a willingness to hear what the public has to say. There are several things I would like to address. However, since my time is limited, I must focus on what is the most important thing to me.

Although the Commission Board made some positive decisions on the college policy during the last meeting, I would encourage the Commission Board to take another look at these decisions. During a public forum held on Saturday, October 30, 2010, a leading administrative staff member stated that the Commission Board is a policy making board, and yet at the same time this did not appear to be the case throughout the college policy review process. If you as a Commission Board have the authority to create policies that speak in the best interests of consumers, then why do you allow this leading administrative staff member to control what policies are passed by the Commission Board?

It’s simple really, the Michigan Commission for the Blind cannot ask college students who receive social security benefits to financially participate in the cost of their rehabilitation services. It also cannot create a means test for those who receive social security benefits where rehabilitation services are based on how much a student has contributed to disability related services including Personal Equipment, Medical Expenses, Personal Assistants or Attendants, and transportation as indicated by the new DELEG Financial Needs  and Resources form. I believe the Commission Board           has both the duty and the responsibility to adopt policies that adhere to federal guidelines, and as such, I would strongly urge you to reconsider the use of this form as a part of the new college policy.

Respectfully,
Elizabeth Mohnke
Current College Student
National Federation of the Blind