[nfbmi-talk] foia mcb tc marksmanship class

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Jun 7 10:17:14 UTC 2010

FOIA FOIA FOIA June 7, 2010

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

1365 E. Mt. Morris Rd.

Mt. Morris, MI 48458

Attention: Melvin Farmer and Carla Haynes

Department of Energy, Labor, and Economic Growth

And Michigan Commission for the Blind

Freedom of Information Act Coordinators

Dear Mr. Farmer and Ms. Haynes,

I am writing today to request any e-mail correspondences relative to the official Michigan Commission for the Blind inquiry (attached after my signature line) which has still not been responded to by members of this board. Of course, I’m making this request under the Michigan Freedom of Information Act. Specifically I am requesting all e-mails relative to this request sent to or sent by MCB Director Patrick D. Cannon to:

-any member of the MCB Board

-any member of the staff of MCB or DELEG

-any personnel of the Michigan Attorney General’s office

-any member of the staff of the Michigan Civil Service Commission

Of course, the dates for this would be from the date of submission as this also was copied to Mr. Cannon. In addition your search should not be too difficult as any e-mail correspondences relative to this matter would be either on the computer used by Director Cannon, or his Administrative Assistant, Susan Luzinski, on the Second Floor of the Victor Center office building in Lansing, Michigan.

Since the search is so simple and costs literally nothing, and since I will widely circulate the findings to list serves, web sites and media serving people who are blind and others with other disabilities; and several sources in the mass media; and since this will serve the public interest in that it will show how curriculum for the rehabilitation of the blind is handled in Michigan at its Training Center and elsewhere I claim additionally a waiver of fee.

Certainly, once again it is in the public interest to ascertain the means, methods, and procedures for developing rehabilitation programs, and in addition to ensure that they are in compliance with the civil rights of people who are blind, including those guaranteed by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, especially when compared to similar programs which are very enlightened in this regards by other State of Michigan entities such as the Michigan Department of Environment and Natural Resources.

In addition this might also reveal just how responsive the members of the MCB Board are to the interests of customers and stakeholders which they are charged with protecting.

Sincerely,

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

(Attached correspondenceJ

March 15, 2010

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

1365 E. Mt. Morris Rd.

Mt. Morris, MI  48458

E-mail: joeharcz at comcast.net

Re: Official Board Inquiry Ending MCB TC Marksmanship Program

Michigan Commission for the Blind

LANSING, CENTRAL ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICE

Phone, voice: (517) 373-2062

Toll-free voice (800) 292-4200

TTY (517) 373-4025; toll-free TTY (888) 864-1212

Fax: (517) 335-5140

DIRECTOR'S OFFICE

Cannon, Patrick D., Director

(Via e-mail)

Ms. Jo Ann Pilarski, MCB Commission Chair

pilarskij at charter.net

Mr. Michael Geno, MCB Commission Vice Chair

luzenskis at michigan.gov

Ms. Velma P. Allen, MCB Commissioner

luzenskis at michigan.gov

Ms. Geraldine G. Taeckens, MCB Commissioner

geri.taeckens at isahealthfund.org

Ms. Margaret Wolfe, MCB Commissioner

margwolfe at usa.net

I am writing you all today, and most especially Director Cannon to address a very specific issue. I wish to know precisely what rules, laws, etc. or methods of administrative criterion were used to close the much touted and voluntary “marksmanship class” at the Michigan Commission for the Blind Training Center? Note: I would be asking the same question if say the industrial arts course was cancelled, or if another “elective” (my term) was cancelled.

As an additional note here, for the record I am not inquiring at this time about the firing of Ms. Christine Boone. Though that might appear to be inter woven it is in my inquiry not germane. In other words my request for a formal response is narrow and to the issue of eliminating this “course” offering from the MCB TC curriculum. And thus the opportunity of students at the center to partake in it.

Sincerely,

Paul “Joe” Harcz, Jr.