[nfbmi-talk] The Last Minute Late Night College Policy

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 24 17:11:57 UTC 2010

Hello List,

I know you may be getting tired of receiving all of my messages about the college policy, but with knowledge comes power, and with power, we can stop the Michigan Commission for the Blind from adopting bad policies. In an email dated Thursday, June 10, 2010, Geri Taeckens said, “it will be important that we consider all input at the work group meeting,” and “no one document that is offered prior to the meeting will be taken in full.” However, this is not what happened at the meeting.

When we arrived to the meeting, we were asked if we wanted print, large print, or Braille documents. There was also a thumb drive available for those who wanted the documents in electronic format as well. I thought these documents were either a copy of what was put up on the website or a copy of the policy that was voted down at the March Michigan Commission for the Blind Board meeting. However, to everyone’s surprise, it was neither one of these documents, but rather a copy of a totally new policy that was written by Geri Taeckens at the last minute the night before the meeting.

Attached to this message, you will find a copy of the policy that was presented to us at the meeting on Monday. I know there are a few things that were either changed or deleted, but I do not remember what they were without referring to my notes. Geri Taeckens is going to polish up what was presented to us by incorporating all of our feedback and suggestions, and will be posting a copy of it on the Michigan Commission for the Blind website on July 1, 2010. People will then have until July 15, 2010 to provide feedback on the policy before a final draft is written and presented to the Commission Board. She gave a date by which all of this needed to be completed by, but I cannot remember it at the moment. However, it was emphasized that the Commission Board “absolutely has to pass” this policy at the next Commission Board meeting.

I am honestly not quite sure what to do next as this issue has become a lot more complicated than I ever imagined, and it appears as though most of what I have to say or anything I write is automatically discounted without much consideration. I have already revised one of their poorly written policies, and I would rather not do it again. If any ideas on what we should do next would greatly be appreciated.

Elizabeth