[nfbmi-talk] contacting mcb commissioners from mcb web site

Christine Boone Christine_Boone at comcast.net
Mon Sep 13 15:39:31 UTC 2010

Wow, so what happened to the biographies on these guys?  It is small wonder
that I continue to meet people like the man who stopped his car in a hotel
parking lot the other day to ask me if there was any organization around
that could really help blind people.  This man told me that his brother is
blind now, and that he signed up with the Commission 4 years ago.  He went
on to say that these have been 4 years of unreturned phone calls,
frustration and incompetence on the part of the Commission and his brother
is no closer to being self-sufficient or employed now, than he was then.  He
is just older and the whole family is more sad, frustrated and wondering if
there is any kind of future that is possible for this blind man.

In all my life, having lived in 5 states as a working adult, I have not ever
had so many people express the frustration and complete lack of confidence
in the blindness rehabilitation agency that I have found here in Michigan.
Talk is nothing more than noisy air if it does not signify something that is
real, actual or true.  The word "biography" on the Commission's website is
just taking up space if there is no actual biography written there.  The
word itself signifies nothing.  Pat Cannon talks a great deal about an
agency that exceeds requirements for openness.  He is continually beginning
his statements with the words "in the interest of full disclosure".  Alas
the only place that such openness and full disclosure exist is in the mind
of the speaker.  No matter how many times the words are repeated, they will
continue to do nothing but take up space in the air unless some action is
taken to implement what is said.  It is not hard to run an agency that is
truly open, or to comply with the law, if an administrator is honest and
capable of acting in good faith.