[nfbmi-talk] Minutes September 9 2010

trising trising at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 22 20:16:05 UTC 2010

Minutes September 9 8:30 P.m. Quorum yes Larry Posont, Terri Wilcox, Marcus Simmons Mike Powell Melinda Latham Matt McCubbin Dave
Robinson.

President's Report.

Larry Posont has written Pat Cannon concerning Newsline Funding. He has not responded. The 25-35 people who have called with concern
will be contacted to see about letters of support. Fred Wurtzel is in contact with a senator's office. Match money is computed by
moving money around on a spread sheet to see what matches will be best. The close out of funding sources are put together in
September/October. Marcus Simmons got $100 from the Lions for Newsline. Larry will call Jo Ann Pilarski to see if she will get the
Commission Board to fund Newsline. It was suggested that we apply for an emergency gift fund grant from the Commission to fund
Newsline. Larry will write the executive committee for a request from the gift fund. It was suggested that Larry check on the lunch
time meeting when some guests are included.

Law Suit Discussion about the law suit occurred.

State Convention. Mike Powell needs preregistrations. Preregistration dates need to be determined. The Convention will be streamed
and people can send in email. The Friday night activity can occur in the main room.

Please have Agenda items to me as soon as possible, no later than September 15.

Convention Flier slogan. Life Long Learning is suggested as the slogan. Contact Kim Mohnke with slogan ideas.

Youth Outreach Bridge Walk Report 2010. We took 15 youth and 33 people altogether. We climbed a light house and took a Soo Locks
boat tour. Several youth are interested in State and National Convention. A fisherman wants to take the kids out on boats for
fishing in the spring. $75 to $80 of expenses were incurred for sweat shirts and sweats. The highlight was the light house climb.
Going through the lock, you could touch the side of the wall as it moved up or down. A student walked without a guide on the bridge
for the first time. We have a recording of a student walking across the bridge. Marcus Simmons moves and Michael Powell seconds that
Melinda Latham contacts the press. The motion was approved. Fred will write the story for the press. Invite the kids to the
Convention to help Melinda Latham present their impressions. Youth outreach has been great for our affiliate this year.

New Business:

Natures Finest Bounty is making good progress. Go to

www.naturesfinestbounty_com to see the progress. Fred Wurtzel's brother will make coffee grinders. The youth might make something to
sell. We should have a new look to the website in the next week or two. We are looking for software that eliminates things such as
dates as they become obsolete. The Performing Arts Division will sell material on our website. When people order products the
company will ship them out for us. Whoever makes and sells the product mails it out after it has been ordered. We want to make money
from our website. It is very close to being ready. We will emphasize blind individuals and their products and services on our
website. A down river chapter will be started by Bob Rihann.

A print letter was sent in violation of title 2 and Ada concerning Triennial needs assessments. We need to file a formal complaint
with the Office of Civil Rights and any other entity that is needed, relating to the triennial needs assessment letter in print. The
Commission needs to be held accountable. Marcus Simmons moves and Dave Robinson seconds the motion. The motion was approved. We
should ask for a full scale compliance review of the Commission for the Blind. During the PAQ meeting, the agency adopted a new
maintenance policy. It will be presented to the Consumer Involvement Committee meeting. The public should be informed when big
policies are changed. We need to find out the time and attend the Consumer Involvement Committee meeting. Thirty staff of the
Commission are eligible for retirement. It is illegal to restrict what is paid for by the Commission in regards to upward mobility
for Bep operators.

Old Business: A resolution or motion is suggested concerning public access in a timely manner of the operating budget. The draft
minutes of the last Commission Board meeting should be out and requested including the college policy.

Adjourn at 10-10. Marcus Simmons moved and Mike Powell seconded a motion to adjourn. The motion passed unanimously.

Thank you for working together to change

what it means to be blind in Michigan.