[nfbmi-talk] rehab counselors

christywitte at sbcglobal.net christywitte at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 14 20:22:20 UTC 2011

Cheryl,

I am so glad that you have such questions; I believe you are on your way to
becoming a thoughtful and consienscious rehabilitation counselor. I think
you should spend the majority of your time working with individuals who are
seriously looking for work and have the legitimate skills to actually obtain
and maintain a job. As far as being a rehab counselor and disclosing the
client's disability, that would be up to the client. Eventually, the
employer is going to find out anyway and the client and you really have to
sit down and analyze the job situation to assess weather or not your client
has the abilities and the requirements to perform his or her
responsibilities. This is crucial because the during the interview process,
the client is going to have to explain how he or she can perform the duties
of the job.

I'm not sure what the commission's policy is on vocational goals you need to
see what the client wants to do. If you are trying to get the client "any
job" and he or she is not motivated or doesn't want to work in a certain
profession, then he or she is going to be less likely to attempt to maintain
employment in that arena. You should obtain the client's input as to what he
or she wants their career to be. Yu should then assess the availability of
jobs in this area and explain it to the client. You should see if the client
is medically well enough to perform the job. One good way to due this is by
having some clients volunteer in their field so that they know what the work
entails.

For example, I have a blind friend who wishes to be involved in music but
obviously doesn't have the talent to be a hit artist in my opinion.

You should know what the client's philosophy is on blindness, as well, as it
relates to him and herself. You should be honest with your client about how
much work you will be able to do with him or her and what is available. As
far as obtaining accessible equipment, they obviously need to familiarize
themselves with the equipment but should also agree to pursue his or her
goals in preparation for work.

As far as utilizing other career services through other agencies, it is very
situational and all agencies are different. My personal experience is that
they are clueless about blindness and don't was to readily work with blind
people, referring them for the Commission for the blind. Many such people
don't know what the Commission is there for and think that they have an
endless amount of money and due everything for blind people. Many generic
programs for the blind, if they don't get paid on commission or if the blind
person isn't interested in the field, then it is a waist of time and money.

You should also know that many schools do not equip blind people for work
and neither do universities. Many parents don't make their blind children do
chores around the house and therefore the blind person may be very booksmart
but low on actual work experience. I've seen many successful people who went
through the NFB centers, and in the end, it isn't a waist of money because
it actually puts the blind person out in the real world to gain confidence,
which many blind people who have never been employed lack.

I received a degree in English and psychology, which both really require
further education to get a real job these days. My work experience has been
limited to phone work and teaching Braille and tutoring sighted people. My
case was eventually closed because of my ongoing medical problems which
prevented me from maintaining jobs.

I know there are plenty of blind folks who are successful workers or have
been and have the experience and motivation to do great things. My knowledge
has been limited to my and others' experiences. College isn't necessary for
everyone and I would encourage all college students to do as much paid work
and volunteer work as possible. Blind people aren't really different from
other people. There are lazy ones and motivated ones, varying levels of
intelligence etc.

I am totally blind which can be a different experience for one who has gone
blind or who has some usable vision. I hope this doesn't anger anyone on the
list but it is my honest assessment.
Christy hope this is helpful to you and others on the list.