[nfbmi-talk] foia request on video mcb meeting

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sat Jul 2 13:41:35 UTC 2011

FOIA Request for Records Authorizing Videoe Recording of MCB June 17 Meeting

July 2, 2011

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

1365 E. Mt. Morris Rd.

Mt. Morris, MI  48458

joeharcz at comcast.net

810-516-5262

Melvin Farmer

Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

Freedom of Information Act Officer

(Via e-mail)

Dear Mr. Farmer,

I’m writing today to request any records, such as directives, memorandums,intra agency e-mails say between Mr. Steve Arwood and Patrick D. Cannon related to the video recording of the June 17, 2011 Michigan Commission for the Blind meeting.

I also wish for a line item accounting of how much this video recording cost the taxpayer or any records related to costs such as inter agency transfers from MCB/LARA to DTMB or a third party vendor for filming the event to begin with.

Moreover, while this is a FOIA request it does have Americans with Disability Act and section 504 implications for I wish to also see any memorandums discussing the requirements to caption and describe this production of a Michigan Commission for the Blind public meeting.

Further, you sir and the Department say that it is an undue hardship in a doge to avoid Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 obligations let alone those related to the right of the public to access this under the FOIA. Well why did it get video taped to begin with? Was that only for internal consumption? Was that simply a lame attempt to try to intimidate citizens who are blind in addressing a public meeting where our rights and the duties of this federally funded entity are at stake?

And again why doesn’t the Department simply put the video up on the web if it did this in the public interest and at taxpayer’s expense in the first place?

Again, as a person who is blind I invoke the ADA and 504 on any correspondences related to this inquiry. You are lucky I only request e-mail as I use screen reading technology. But that is my standard request.

The documents requested must also be made accessible with no surcharge for doing so.

Sincerely,

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.