[nfbmi-talk] Student Constitution Amendments

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 21 19:52:44 UTC 2011

    Hello All,

As the current President of the Michigan Association of Blind Students, I have noticed a couple of things that need to be changed within our student constitution. The constitution does not specifically state that amendments need to be submitted in writing beforehand. However, I know it is required under the constitution for the national student division, so I am submitting these amendments in writing to ensure that we comply with any state or national policy that might not be addressed within our constitution.

The first amendment is a simple grammatical correction. While I could simply change this on my own, I would feel more comfortable seeking the approval of the members present to make sure this correction adequately reflects the sentiment of the organization.

The second amendment will determine how many members of the board we will elect during our elections. There seems to be a bit of ambiguity regarding how many at-large board members should serve on our board. In one section, it states that we should elect only two at-large board members, while in another section it states that we should elect four at-large board members. I believe it is important for us to clear this up before holding our elections.

The constitution in its entirety is attached to this email for those who wish to read it. The specific sections of the constitution that need to be amended as well as the proposed amendments will follow in subsequent emails. I will also ask someone to read these during the business portion of our student seminar before calling for a vote to adopt these amendments.

I hope this makes sense. However, if you have any questions about it, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Mohnke

President, Michigan Association of Blind Students