[nfbmi-talk] working together in missouri

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Fri Apr 6 15:16:39 UTC 2012

Nixon rallies disabled advocates at Capitol | The Columbia Daily Tribune - Columbia, Missouri

JEFFERSON CITY — Gov. Jay Nixon yesterday urged disability advocates against dividing over the issue of whether 3,000 blind Missourians deserve state-paid

health care.

In a 10-minute speech to more than 250 people with disabilities and advocates who were in the Capitol for a day of lobbying, Nixon called the program "a

vital lifeline to help needy blind people afford medical care."

The $28 million program was eliminated in the $24 billion budget plan approved last month in the Missouri House. Nixon has lobbied lawmakers to restore

the funding and announced last week a source of money to put back $17.7 million of the cut.

"Without it, they would be forced to make impossible choices between lifesaving prescriptions and groceries, between doctors visits and electric bills,"

Nixon said of the health care program, which provides services similar to Medicaid paid for entirely from state general revenue. "These are decisions no

one should have to make."

The House budget moves the money to higher education.

"I appreciate the importance of higher education and its critical role in keeping our economy moving forward," Nixon said. "But let me be clear, not one

college or university president has asked for more funding at the expense of needy, blind Missourians. Not one."

In defending the cut, House leaders have called it a program that singles out the blind for special benefits.

The coverage is available for blind people with incomes or assets that make them ineligible for regular Medicaid coverage.

Nixon's speech drew loud applause from the audience, and the message of unity was a theme for the day.

Cathy Brown of the Missouri Developmental Disabilities Council said the lobbying day provides lawmakers with a chance to talk with people with disabilities

about their concerns and "reinvigorates us as a community."

Buttons saying "Take Note I Vote!" were on every chest. "It tells the legislature we are engaged and paying attention, and we are coordinated for our collective

priorities," Brown said.

Reach Rudi Keller at 573-815-1709 or e-mail

rkeller at columbiatribune.com.

This article was published on page A10 of the Thursday, April 5, 2012 edition of The Columbia Daily Tribune with the headline "Nixon rallies disabled group:

Speech focuses on blind health."

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2012/apr/05/nixon-rallies-disabled-advocates-at-capitol/