[nfbmi-talk] Minutes, January 5, 2010 8:30 P.M.

trising at sbcglobal.net trising at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 16 15:26:23 UTC 2012

Quorum Larry Posont, Mike Powell, Terri Wilcox, Nick Wilcox and Mary Wurtzel.

Secretary's Report. Terri Wilcox. Mike Powell made a motion to accept the Secretary's Report. Mary Wurtzel seconded the Motion. The Secretary's Report was approved. Then, we added a vote that allowed for $500 each to be allocated to a male and female room for Washington Seminar.

Treasurer's Report, Mary Wurtzel. There are still outstanding checks. The balance as of January 5 is $6,836.90. The Youth Outreach Balance is $2,605. This leaves our balance at  4,231.90. We are sending the National Office $2,000 for the Lawyer's fee. The Treasurer's Report was approved. There was no second for this report.

Introduction of participating Members

President's Report, Larry Posont. New Horizons sent us a letter requesting a response to resolution 2011-08 concerning New Horizons and Gwen McNeal. Sixty-three workshops with subminimum wage certificates exist in Michigan. We will find out what individuals are being paid at New Horizons and Peccam through the National Labor Relations Board. We will send our response via email and hard copy with a certified receipt to the Attorney General. The lawyer confirmed what was stated in the Resolution. This letter was initially sent as an inaccessible email. It is obvious that the Resolution was sent to New Horizons by someone at the Commission for the Blind. Picketing New Horizons because of the subminimum wage issue may be in order.

Washington Seminar, J.J. Meddaugh. Four or five individuals are wanting to attend Washington Seminar.

Special Board Meeting Commission for the Blind January 10. The Commission for the Blind Board intends to finish Pat Cannon's performance objectives for 2012.

2012 National Convention Registration. This year we are returning to Dallas and the beautiful Hilton Anatole Hotel for our annual convention. This year's gathering will be bigger and better than ever! Make reservations now by calling (214) 761-7500; you won't want to miss out on the excitement! For more information watch the Braille Monitor.

Quarterly Board Meeting Update The Quarterly Board Meeting will be held on February 11 at the Sparrow Professional Building from 10:00 to 4:00. The room is reserved from 9:00 to 4:00. Send agenda items to Larry Posont.

Appointments to the Commission Board There is nothing new concerning appointments. Pat Cannon wants a political agency and we want a rehabilitation agency. There are many vacancies on boards in Michigan.

Nature's Finest Bounty Report. Mary Wurtzel may ask Kevin Reeves to help with the Natures Finest Bounty Website.

New Business: Check with missing Board members about good times for meetings. It is necessary to find the date on the Money Market account raised by our previous Parents Division. Mike Powell, Dave Robinson and Joe Harcz are filing complaints for Resolutions 2011-01 2011-02 2011-05 and 2011-08. A legal opinion on Resolution 2011-10 is needed very soon. Explanation of the Solicitation License status is needed. January 12 is the Consumer Involvement Council Meeting. Pat Canon invited Richard Bernstein to the Consumer Involvement Council Meeting. What is the purpose of Mr. Bernstein's presence there. The Consumer Involvement Council issued a unanimous motion to fund Newsline. The Commission for the Blind Board agreed, but Newsline still has not been funded. The Ann Arbor Chapter will hold Elections on January 14. Terri Wilcox will speak at the Ann Arbor District Library about the National Federation of the Blind on January 14, from 3:30 to 5:00 P.M. On the second Sunday of August we are making plans for a car show with models and antiques that people can touch. The student Division may help with these plans.

Old Business:

Board members are invited to call in Monday evening for the Members At large Chapter on January 9 at 8:30. P.M.

A Motion was made by Terri Wilcox to Adjourn at 9:45. The Motion to adjourn passed at 9:45.