[nfbmi-talk] Fw: what has been done on this?

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sat Jun 9 15:25:02 UTC 2012

Your resolution as follows has not been fully implemented here to date
including the final resolve clause Fred:
RESOLUTION 2011-07
CHALLENGE EXPERIENCES

            WHEREAS, successful, quality rehabilitation for the blind
includes such mandatory skills as Braille, Cane Travel, Daily Living Skills,
Technology, and Manual Arts; and

            WHEREAS, these skills represent a minimum, or can be considered,
core competencies for a person to become prepared to live successfully in
the world as a blind person; and

            WHEREAS, in order to fully benefit from these skills each person
must have a philosophic view of blindness which encompasses these skills
plus an intrinsic belief in oneself which informs an approach to life based
on confidence and empowerment; and

            WHEREAS, successful rehabilitation programs include "challenge
experiences" that require the student to aggregate and consolidate the
individual skills to accomplish a goal that challenges and stretches the
students' self-image as a blind person.  Examples of such experiences
include rock climbing, water skiing, sky diving, participation in large
social events such as state fairs, Marde Gras, etc.; and

            WHEREAS, the Michigan Commission for the Blind Training Center
(MCBTC), in response to student demand, created a marksmanship challenge
activity which served the ambient cultural needs of Michigan's outdoor
hunting and sports environment; and

            WHEREAS, this marksmanship program was aborted in a drastic and
destructive manner brutally repressing the spontaneous self-empowerment of
blind people who were exercising their self-empowerment, thus undermining
and stunting the full possibilities of a quality rehabilitation program; and

            WHEREAS, now that the misguided, mean and regressive actions to
repress the positive goals of the National Federation of the Blind as
expressed in positive and progressive rehabilitation administration have
been repudiated and shown for what they are, anti-consumer and anti-NFB; and

            WHEREAS, it is now time to resume progress toward progressive,
positive and creative rehabilitation that empowers blind people and creates
an environment of encouragement and high expectation leading to personal
freedom and confidence which will therefore lead to success in vocational
and community pursuits; and

            WHEREAS, the MCBTC must assume its rightful role as the
planning, organizing and motivating engine within the Michigan Commission
for the Blind rehabilitation programs;

            NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the National Federation of the
Blind of Michigan   in convention assembled this 6th day of November 2011 in
the City of Kalamazoo, Michigan

 that this organization demands in the strongest terms possible that the
Michigan Commission for the Blind Board take immediate and affirmative steps
to enable the MCBTC to develop signature challenge programs reflective of
the unique environment and needs in Michigan and that they reflect the
diverse interests of Michigan citizens; and

            BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Board act in its December
meeting to initiate a planning process that will produce a plan for creative
and effective challenge activities to be presented to the Commission for
consideration in the March 2012 board meeting that incorporates the
philosophical and skill building requirements as cited above; and

            BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Board incorporate this planning
and implementation of an acceptable challenge program into the MCB Director's
Performance Plan for 2012, and that the Board monitor progress towards this
goal and take appropriate action if the goal is not achieved; and

            BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this organization demands the
reinstatement of the marksmanship class at the MCBTC.