[nfbmi-talk] {Spam?} Fw: October Blind Post

Gkitchen ghkitchen at comcast.net
Sat Oct 6 03:33:44 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: <foodlady at theblindpost.com>
To: <ghkitchen at comcast.net>
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2012 7:44 PM
Subject: October Blind Post

The Blind Post
Classified News
October 2012
Current email subscribers to date: 1094

Contents for this Month’s issue:
*From the Editor
* Sponsor of the Month
* Scentsy Family of Products and Monthly Specials
*For sale
* Wanted, for trade, or for free
*Business & Job Opportunities
*Services and Training
*Announcements
*Tech Corner: Related news and announcements.
*Tips & tidbits from the Food Lady
*Blind Man Walking
*Links of interest
*Posting ads & announcements to The Blind Post

Subscriptions
To unsubscribe safely from this newsletter and other emails from The Blind
Post, click the link at the bottom of this newsletter, and your email
address will be removed from the list.
To subscribe, send an email to:
foodlady at theblindpost.com

Put subscribe in the subject or in the message, and I will let you know that
you have been added.

Note for navigation:
All sections will begin with +++.
All ads  ,  announcements, in each section, will begin with
++Ad starts here:, or recipe starts here:.

+++ From the Editor:
Happy Fall everyone! Oh, I just love autumn. The leaves are changing to
yellow and orange and some even to red. They are beginning to fall to the
ground, and so begin the piles and piles of crunching leaves beneath my
feet. It is so nice to live where there are four distinct seasons.

My guide dog Berkeley is retiring. He is slowing down and not able to work
due to arthritis.
He will enjoy a well-deserved retirement with a new family, after I go to
get another guide.
We have worked together in the rural town of Spring Creek, Nevada in the
high desert at 5500 feet for many years. We have trudged through freezing
snow, and hiked in the Ruby Mountains in the warmer months. We have enjoyed
the tamer climate of Eagle, Idaho, these last two years, with its sidewalks
and easier travel. We have shared many good times and I have wonderful
memories from the last seven or so years.

I have applied for a new guide dog and am waiting acceptance and a class
time.  I will keep you all posted as to when that will be.

Now onto the October news- There are wonderful articles including our
Sponsor of the Month, Tech Corner, recipes from Food Lady, and another
excellent edition of Blind Man Walking by Joshua.
Many great ads and announcements too.

The November news will be emailed on November fifth. Please have your
submissions to me by the fourth of November. Sooner is always better.
See the Posting ads & announcements Section at the end of this newsletter
for prices and word counts.

I always enjoy hearing from you. If you have something to share or a comment
about the newsletter or the website, email:
foodlady at theblindpost.com
Lori AKA Food Lady

You can listen to an interview with Lori AKA Food Lady at The Blind Post
website:
http://www.theblindpost.com/

Read The Blind Post Classified News online, where ads and announcements are
being added each week:
http://theblindpost.com/TheBlindPostClassifiedNewsOnline.html

+++Sponsor of the Month:
My name is Kathy Eble.  I want to introduce you to Home Readers, a service
for the blind and visually impaired, serving the blind community since 1996.
We are a not for profit 501 c3 organization.  The mission of Home Readers is
to further the independence of the blind and visually impaired.  Our
services provide a way for blind and low vision individuals to shop
independently through a wide variety of mail order catalogs.  Our catalogs
are free to customers and they are read by pleasant sounding readers who
become the eyes for their listeners, by describing products, colors and
details to make products come alive. When you use our catalogs you still get
the extra description that often is missing from websites and catalogs.
This allows you to know what you are purchasing.  If you are a web user our
catalogs can compliment your visit to websites and our special codes should
work on the catalog company’s websites.

The clothing catalogs include Blair Men’s and Women’s, Lands’ End, L.L.
Bean, Anthony Richards, Essentials by Anthony Richards, Roaman’s and Monroe
and Main. Health and beauty catalogs include Avon, Dr. Leonard’s, Puritans
Pride - Vitamins, Easy Comfort, Healthy Living, and Beauty Boutique.  Our
home and housewears section includes CHEF’s and Figi’s Gift Gallery.  In
gifts and variety catalogs we have Miles Kimball, Vermont Country Store,
Ginny’s, Carol Right Gifts, Walter Drake, Windsor Jewelry and Kathy’s
Korner. Food catalogs include Swiss Colony and Figi’s. We also read the LS&S
Catalog for the blind and visually impaired, Country Music Greats and
Care-A-Lot Pet Supplies.

We have over three hundred and fifty affordable priced cookbooks available
at Home Readers. There are cookbooks with 3 and 4 ingredients, appetizers,
baking, canning and preserving, casseroles, country cooking, diabetic. We
have cookbooks with desserts such as; cakes, cookies, pies, puddings and
mixes.   Also, you will find fish, grilling, healthy, holiday, homestyle
cooking, international, jellies and preserves, low carb, main dishes, one
dish, quick to fix slow cooker, smoothies, soups, stews and variety
cookbooks, plus a few celebrity cookbooks. We also have a Home Readers
master cookbook collection.  This is a digitally recorded master list of all
the cookbooks Home Readers has offered from 1996 to March 2011. If you are
interested in receiving this Master Cookbook collection, call
1-877-814-7323.  Please note that all cookbooks are available on either a
quad track cassette or Daisy MP3 only.

NEW this year Home Readers is offering all cassette cookbooks recorded prior
to 2009 for half price.  This means any cookbook listed on the Home Readers
Master Cookbook Collection that was read prior to 2009 will be available to
you for half the cost.  Not sure if a cookbook you are interested in is
eligible?  Give us a call at 1-877-814-7323 for more information.  Digitally
recorded cookbooks, cookbooks recorded on MP3 daisy books and all books and
magazines are not eligible for this offer.

We would like to invite you to join our cookbook club. Every 2nd month Home
Readers will produce 2 new cookbooks and send them to those who join our
club. Cookbook club members also receive a free cookbook at the end of the
year as a special thank you.  You can pay by credit card and it will be
charged every two months when your cookbooks are sent.  Ask about more
information if you are interested.  To hear a prerecorded message giving the
titles of the two cookbooks available every two months call 1-773-572-7828
and press 4.   If you would like to hear a prerecorded list of the latest
cookbooks available at Home Readers call 1-773-572-7828 and press 3.

If you would like to receive a free audio version of the Home Readers
catalog which lists all the sponsored mail order catalogs with a brief
description of each catalog call us at 1-877-814-7323 and we will mail you a
copy.

Our audio catalogs are available on quad track cassette tape and MP3 daisy
books.  Our website, www.blindaudiocatalogs.com, is where catalogs can be
downloaded straight to your computer or playing device, such as a Victor
Stream, thumb drives (SD cards, and even cell phones if enough memory is
available.)  All the catalogs are sponsored by mail order companies free of
charge and our cookbooks have a small charge to help us with the expenses
involved in our non-sponsored services.

Please call us to place orders at our toll free number 1-877-814-7323 or
place your order online at
http://homereaders.com/
.  Visit
http://www.blindaudiocatalogs.com/
if you would prefer to download catalogs or the latest version of The Blind
Post.  Visit often as things change from time to time and you can follow our
blog and find links of interest on
http://www.blindaudiocatalogs.com/page/479125581
  You can follow Home Readers on Facebook for info, special offers and lots
of fun with the gift & gab group.
Note: The Facebook button is on  the blog page.

+++Scentsy family of products and monthly specials:
Scent & Warmer of the Month
Each month, Scentsy introduces a brand new fragrance and Scentsy warmer that
are not included in our current catalog! To celebrate holidays and the
seasons, these products are available at a 10 percent discount during their
promotional month.
October Scent   :
 Mandarin Moon
 Spirited cinnamon and glowing ginger illuminated by sweet orange and star
anise.
Scentsy bar $4.50
Room spray $7.20
Scent Circle $2.70
Warmer of the month:
Tom Full-Size Scentsy Warmer PREMIUM
A full-feathered tom turkey glows from within when lit, while distressed
edges give a lovingly worn look to its classic detailing.
Your price:  $31.50
Holiday Warmers and scents are here!
>From spooky Ghouls & Ghosts to festive Jolly, Holiday Collection warmers are
designed to add the perfect pop to your holiday décor.
Premium Full-Size Warmers
*All Wrapped Up Full-Size Scentsy Warmer PREMIUM $35.00
It’s the perfect present. A Christmas-green gift box is speckled with
festive polka dots and topped with a bright red bow. Take All Wrapped Up
home as a great gift for you or your favorite Scentsy lover.
  *Blizzard Full-Size Scentsy Warmer PREMIUM $35.00
Escape the winter chill with the warm glow of Blizzard. When unlit, Blizzard’s
snowflakes charm as they fall across the glossy white base and scalloped
dish—turn Blizzard on, and perfectly placed cutouts cast a whimsical winter
wonderland pattern.
*Bluster Full-Size Scentsy Warmer PREMIUM $35.00
To make the perfect snowman, it takes plenty of snow, a carrot, two lumps of
coal — and a little magic, of course! This jolly, happy soul is snuggled in
a striped scarf and fairytale top hat. But Bluster is unlike any other
snowman you’ve seen. You don’t have to worry about this frosty friend
melting away!
*Ghouls & Ghosts Full-Size Scentsy Warmer PREMIUM   $35.00
Receive a visit from spooky white specters! Ghouls & Ghosts brings the great
beyond into your home – no rattling chains, tumbledown houses or creepy
moans required.
*He's Alive! Full-Size Scentsy Warmer PREMIUM $35.00
This is one monster you’ll want to let in the house. Green and ghoulish, He’s
Alive! has all the details that made Frankenstein famous (but with a little
more charm).
*Jolly Full-Size Scentsy Warmer PREMIUM   $35.00
As festive a sight as old St. Nick himself. Jolly’s playful, potbellied base
is cinched in a wide black belt and silver buckle. Glazed in bright,
Christmas red and trimmed with a contrasting white dish, you won’t be able
to resist this very merry midriff!
*Menorah Full-Size Scentsy Warmer PREMIUM $35.00
Nine softly lit candles surround Menorah, a festival of lights and
rededication. Azure over amber, this warmer features unique color variation
and a high-gloss reactive-glaze finish. Each flame is a vent hole, designed
to fill a room with the delicate appearance of candlelight.
*Merry Berry Full-Size Scentsy Warmer PREMIUM   $35.00
What would the holiday season be without a wreath of holly berries adorning
the front door or a garland draped across the mantle? Merry Berry celebrates
a delightful symbol of the winter holidays, red holly berries and festive
green leaves, scattered across a simple cranberry base.
*Tis the Season Full-Size Scentsy Warmer PREMIUM $35.00
’Tis the Season is the answer to the burning question: “Is it Christmas
 yet?” Help your little ones – or yourself! – keep track of the days until
Santa’s arrival with this cheery green-and-red warmer.
*Plug-In Warmers
Celebrate the seasons with Plug-In Scentsy Warmers.
*Blizzard Plug-In Scentsy Warmer $20.00
Escape the winter chill with the warm glow of Blizzard. When unlit, Blizzard’s
snowflakes charm as they fall across the glossy white base and scalloped
dish — turn Blizzard on, and perfectly placed cutouts cast a whimsical
winter wonderland pattern.
*Bluster Plug-In Scentsy Warmer $20.00
To make the perfect snowman, it takes plenty of snow, a carrot, two lumps of
coal — and a little magic, of course! This jolly, happy soul is snuggled in
a striped scarf and fairytale top hat.
*Fright Night Plug-In Scentsy Warmer   $20.00
You’ve got your costume – now it’s time to dress up your home! Fright Night
features a glowing full moon, embossed bats, and ominous tree branches–a
spooky addition to your Halloween décor. Dark and eerie, this warmer will
give you and your trick-or-treaters goose bumps!
*Gingerbread Plug-In Scentsy Warmer   $20.00
You won't have to run to catch this gingerbread man! Gingerbread features a
high-gloss cinnamon-red base encircled with whimsically decorated cookies.
*Silent Night Plug-In Scentsy Warmer   $20.00
Recalling the long ago night in Bethlehem where it all began, Silent Night
features a Nativity scene lit from within, complete with vent holes shaped
like brightly shining stars. In deep indigo and ivory, this warmer glows
with tradition and “heavenly peace.”
Give a cuddly Scentsy gift this season! Add your favourite Scent Pak to
bring your Scentsy Buddy to life with fragrance.
Scentsy Buddy
Buddy Holiday  $25.00
Double your fun with Scentsy's Buddy Holiday! Starting Sept. 26 through Dec.
31, 2012, buy one of our selected Buddies and receive a second Buddy for
FREE. Each of your new friends will come with a Scent Pak to make snuggling
up to your new Buddy extra festive!
Call or email me for the list of Scentsy buddies.
Holiday Scents for 2012
*Autumn Sunset
Apples, pumpkins, fall leaves, and spices – a top-ten fragrance.
*Christmas Cottage
A cozy, inviting blend of Valencia oranges, raspberries, cloves, and spices.
*Festival of Trees
Dance in a forest of evergreens as fir needles fall amongst aromatic white
cedar and musk, with a wintry whisper of citrus.
 There are many more scents for this season and the Fall/Winter for 2012.
Email me for a list of current scents.
There are several ways to save money with Scentsy. You can email me or call
me to find out more information or visit my website:
Lori Motis
Lm117 at cableone.net
208-514-0352
http://www.warmupscents.com/
I would love to be your personal Scentsy Consultant!
New audio catalogs available through your Scentsy Consultant US only.
Please email me to find out more.

+++For Sale:
++Ad starts here:
Accessibility dot net has the following items for sale:
Readit Wand portable digital capture reading system with everything in
package.  Retail is $1695.00, your price $500.00
Perkins Braille 40 bluetooth v.5, Retail is $2595.00, your price $1000.00
Selling for consumer: JAWS Standard 13 with SMA includes fee to transfer to
new user, retail $1015.00, your price $715.00
Shipping of $20.00 per item is added

Contact Pat Fischer at Accessibility dot net pfischer at accessibility.net or
toll free 866-539-4357 to purchase

++Ad starts here:
Stone communications is owned and run by a blinded air force veteran. I
specialize in talking caller i.d. boxes and cordless phones with built in
talking caller i.d. call me, Richard, at 434 372 5787 and we can do business
and become friends, too.

++Ad starts here:
Classic Perkins Brailler:
* Lightly used and in beautiful, like-new working condition.
* Dymo tape adapter is fairly new.
* Comes with an original dust cover- also in like-new condition.
$300.00 OBO plus shipping from Pennsylvania Zip Code 16507-1551 PayPal
gift/personal pay: email: JAC at neo.rr.com money orders accepted.
Phone: 814-217-1880

++Ad starts here:
In Mint, like-new condition Kurzweil "Purple Monster!"
In home only; Lightly used, 76 note K-2600 workstation; tripple-strike
grands; Orchestral RomBlock. Covered when not in use.

$1800.00 plus shipping
PayPal gift/Personal to:JAC at neo.rr.com or Money order.

Johnny Chilelli
Eri, Pennsylvania 16507-1551
814-217-1880

++Ad starts here:
Hello I have a Braille Writer that needs to go asking 350 brandnew with
a box in perfect conditions call me at 323-842-0264

++Ad starts here:
Talking MP3 Players 4 or 8GB capacity for under $100.
These players have fully spoken menus, FM radio, voice recorder, plus
expandable storage.  Accessories are also available.

Listen to the presentation  at http://www.talkingmp3players.com/demo.html

For more information, visit http://www.talkingmp3players.com/ or call
727-498-0121

+++Wanted, for trade, or for free:
++Ad starts here:
wanted:
i need braille writing material like braillers, writingSlates styluses etc.
and mobility aids like canes etc. if anyOne want to donate above items
please contact me at:
shafique0000 at gmail.com

+++Business and Job Opportunities:
++Ad starts here:
Want to earn some extra money for the holidays?  How about becoming an Avon
representative?  Being an Avon Representative isn't only about selling a
premier beauty brand, fabulous gifts, fashions, and a product line for
children- it's about taking charge of your life. Be your own boss, set your
own schedule - and get ready to make tomorrow's dreams come true today!  For
more information contact Kathy Eble at Home Readers at 1-877-814-7323. Are
you looking for an Avon Representative?  New customers will receive a 10%
discount of their first order.  Contact Kathy Eble for the newest campaign
on audiocassette or place an order on her website at
www.youravon.com/keble   or call 877-814-7323.  Feel free to leave a message
and we will call you back.

++Ad starts here:
Looking for a rewarding career that works with your schedule?  As an
Independent  Scentsy Family Consultant, you’ll set your own hours & have fun
while you earn.
There are now three different brands to choose from. ScentsyFragrance,the
original; Velata chocolate fondu warmers and chocolates; and the new Grace
Adele bags, and accessories.
Visit my website to read more about Scentsy:
http://www.warmupscents.com/
I can coach you and train you.
I can work with prospective consultants anywhere in the US.
Call me for more info:
Lori Motis
208-514-0352
Mailto:lm117 at cableone.net

+++Services and Training:
++Ad starts here:
Do you want training on using your iPhone or iPod? Do you have a Windows
computer that you need training on? Do You want custom ring tones? If so,
contact Raul Gallegos. Hours and prices are reasonable. 260-307-2766 or
raul at raulgallegos.com.

++Ad starts here:
Hello, Joshua Loya here. I’d like to teach you some more about what I write
about in Blind Man Walking. Whether you have a phobia you’d like to get rid
of, or you have a job interview you want to prepare for, or you just want to
have a clearer sense of direction for your life, I can help. I can meet with
you in person, via Skype, or on the phone. Typically, I charge $50 per hour,
with the first session being a minimum of 2 hours. For Blind Post Readers, I’m
going to drop $25 from that first $100 session. That means only $75 for the
first 2 hour session. If you’re interested, drop me a line at
jloya29 at gmail.com.

++Ad starts here:
Want to create your own website easily? Food Lady uses Site Right Now to
create theblindpost.com. I have used this service for other sites  too and I
can do it without vision using my screen reader. Of course you should be an
intermediate to expert screen reader and computer user.
On SiteRightNow.com, everything you need to make a web site is included:

Great for beginners! Anyone can do it. Just fill out simple forms with our
classic control panel, and it makes your website.
Choose and register your own domain name (your company.com) or use one you
already own.
Make your own website, including an unlimited number of pages!
No Programming Required! Just fill in simple on-line forms with your
information.
Build your own family website
Make your own personal website
Create your own e-commerce business website
Upload your own graphics or choose from our on-line library.
Make changes and updates to your web pages with ease.
Announce your website on the major search engines
Get marketing help and advice
Get as much free support as you need. Don't worry if you are a beginner.
Even sell your products on-line with instant e-commerce.

http://www.siterightnow.com/214.html

+++ Announcements
++Ad starts here:
   Please support baseball for the blind by sending a tax-deductible
donation to
Wichita Beep Baseball Association
c/o Leandra Baker
301 S. Handley St.
Wichita Kansas, 67213
Please make checks payable to "WBBA."

++Ad starts here:
Blind or Visually Impaired? - How You Can Learn to Play Chess Absolutely
free of cost!
"The Gymnastics of the Brain" or "The Martial Arts of the Mind" feel the
"Thrill of Victory and the Agony of Defeat" or just have lots of fun, a
fantastic hobby, wonderful inexpensive recreation, playing Blind or sighted
people alike.
A great way to meet others, take this game of Kings to whatever level you
like!
You will be able to play Chess with Blind or Sighted players, friends,
family members, teach your children this fantastic sport
For more information about how to enroll in a completely free of cost
Beginning Chess correspondence Course, in either Braille, Audio Cassette
format or Talking Book Digital format, and receive your absolutely free full
size highest quality accessible chess set, contact:
The United States Braille Chess Association
Public Relations committee members:
Alan Dicey
Email:
adicey at bellsouth.net
Or
Jim Homme
Email:
jhomme1028 at gmail.com

Please see the Web site of the United States Braille Chess Association
http://AmericanBlindChess.org
The United States Braille Chess Association - USBCA has been active since
1968 and is a very cordial group of Blind or Visually Impaired Chess
enthusiasts spread out across the country, who enjoy playing Tournaments or
just Friendly Games with those of their own strength and knowledge of this
wonderful sport of Chess, using email messages or computer voice
communication programs, chat rooms, or even over the telephone!
We assist each other with learning Chess and have fun with this great Sport,
while making new friends!

++Ad starts here:
If you are blind or visually impaired and want to meet others with the same
condition, call me, Richard stone, at 434 372 5787 and I’ll tell you all
about the Burkeville, Virginia lodge for the blind. Or you can visit our
website. Go to
www.vawb.org.
we have fun swimming, boating, fishing, playing games and just plain
gossiping.

++Ad starts here:
Are you interested in learning Hebrew? Do you want to know more about Jewish
study methods and the  Hebrew Bible? Would you like to connect with others
involved in Jewish learning?

Yismehu provides free distance learning opportunities for blind and visually
impaired persons of all ages and religions in braille, large print and
online.

Enroll directly at
http://yismehu.org/
or phone 503 391-7754
I look forward to learning with you!
Joan Myles
director at yismehu.org

+++Tech Corner: Related News & Announcements
Here is a great tip submitted by Joshua:
If you have a System Access Mobile Network (SAMNet) account, you can now
access the content available on SAMNet, including described movies, via
iBlink Radio, the iOS and Android app developed by Serotek. Additionally, if
you have an Apple TV or airplay speakers, you can send the audio there
because the iOS app includes Airplay support.

Here are two must have apps for your iPhone by Lori Motis:
++First app suggestion:
If you have an iPhone and need to take medications daily on a schedule, you
will find this app to be a big help. I use it daily to remind me when I need
to take my prescriptions and even my supplements. It is very easy to set up
and use.
Here is the description taken from the AppleVis website:
“Get Simply Pill Alert now and only worry about getting better.
 Designed and developed by a real pill taking human, Simply Pill Alert is
easy to setup and use, without having to worry about timers, and clocks, and
schedules.
 In this app, we are foregoing the complexities of similar apps that have
many confusing features. All you need to do is to enter a name and the
schedule from your pill bottle.
 Pill Alert will show you whether you missed taking a dosage, and also show
you how late you were taking it.
 Just say "Daily pills", and select "Once a day", and tell the app that you
have taken them. The rest just happens, - or- make your schedule as
complicated as you wish.
 Tell the app the schedule you need to take them on, and again tell it when
you take your medication. The rest is easy, with one less headache you need
to worry about.
 Our very short list of key features:
 •Alerts you when your pills are due. You don't need to have the app
running.
 •Shows you how late are you taking your pills if you have missed an alert
 •There are no complicated settings or unnecessary features. Taking your
pills takes a moment. Using this app should take even less time and effort.

Version 1.2
Free or Paid: Paid
Compatibility: This is a native iPhone and iPod Touch app that is displayed
in 2x mode on an iPad
Accessibility Comments: A very simple to use app that is fully accessible.
 There's one cryptic button label, but tap on it and you will soon realize
that you are on the Help page.
 Adding new medications is simple, just tap the 'Add' button, then enter a
name and schedule.
 The app's main screen will show your medications, and VoiceOver will
happily announce how long until you need to take each one. When the
medication is due, an alert sounds. You are then given the option of
confirming that you have taken the medication or saying that you will take
it later. If you take the medication now, the schedule will start counting
down again. If you leave it until later, you will have to go back into the
app and tell it that you have now taken the medication.

VoiceOver Performance: VoiceOver reads all page  elements.
Button Labelling: Most buttons are clearly labelled.
Usability: The app is fully accessible with VoiceOver and is easy to
navigate and use.”

Simply, Pill Alert. Visit the AppleVis website below, to find the link to
purchase this app in the iTune store, or search for it in the App store on
your iPhone.
http://www.applevis.com/ios-app-directory/health-and-fitness/simply-pill-alert

++Second app suggestion:
Have you ever wanted to send a card to someone, but could not get to the
store to buy one. Here is an app I have found where you can choose a card,
customize it, address it, and send it from your iPhone. There are even
descriptions of each card. It appears to be completely accessible with
VoiceOver and is easy to use. The latest update has some Holiday cards, but
they are mostly generic snow flakes, presents, or snow scenes with deer. I
did not find any religious themes.
The app is free and all of the cards are bought through the Apple store
using your password for your account. Each purchase includes the postage.
Here is the description from the AppleVis website with the link below to
their website where you can find the link to get the app. You can always
search for it on your phone in the App Store too. It is by Apple.
“Cards
The new Cards app from Apple lets you create and mail beautifully crafted,
real greeting cards personalized with your own text and photos — right from
your iPhone or iPod touch. Take a quick snapshot and with a few taps and
swipes, an elegant thank you note or “wish-you-were-here” card is on its way
to any mailbox in the world. Choose from 21 designs and customize your card
with a personal message and photo. Then select a mailing address from your
Contacts and place your order in seconds. All your cards are saved
automatically, so it’s easy to send an invitation or birth announcement to
more than one person.
Custom letterpress cards
 •Cards combine a centuries-old letterpress technique with your digital text
and photos
 •Each card is crafted from 100 percent cotton paper and imprinted with an
elegant debossed design
 •Choose from 21 designs for six occasions: Thank You, Holiday, New Baby,
Birthday, Love, and Travel
 •Customize the placeholder text for any occasion, such as an anniversary or
graduation
 •Add a photo to your card or send one with just text
Location integration
 •If you select one of the Travel designs, your card automatically displays
the name of your current location
 •Choose a photo with GPS data, and the card shows the name of the place
where the photo was taken
Prepaid postage included
 •U.S. customers can send a card within the U.S. for $2.99 including postage
 •Send a card anywhere else in the world for $4.99 including postage
 •Select an address from your Contacts and easily personalize it — from Mr.
Johnny Appleseed to The Appleseed Family, for example
 •To place your order, simply enter your Apple ID password
 •In the U.S., your card will include our own Apple-designed postage
Delivery notification
 •Cards mailed to U.S. addresses make use of the United States Postal
Service Intelligent Mail® barcode
 •On the day your card is to be delivered, you’ll receive a notification on
your iPhone or iPod touch
Card history
•All your cards are automatically saved and can be viewed in a history list
 •You can resend any card to another recipient — perfect for when you have a
lot of friends to thank or you want to spread the word about the newest
member of your family

Total order price includes postage.  For orders with a U.S. billing address,
sales tax will be added to the order price.  For orders with a non-U.S.
billing address, the order price will include applicable VAT.

Accessibility Comments: VoiceOver reads a nice and useful description of the
look and possible content of every card template. So choosing the right
template for your greeting card is quite easy without assistance. I have
only tested it with a template that does provide text entry but no photo.
>From the detailed descriptions provided for the templates I would guess
though that even cards with a photo would work, please comment if you do
test this.

VoiceOver Performance: VoiceOver reads all page elements.
Button Labelling: All buttons are clearly labelled.
Usability: The app is fully accessible with VoiceOver and is easy to
navigate and use.
Other Comments: A quite nice addition to my iOS toolbelt since it allows me
to send greeting cards without even bothering with the physical card, Apple
does the printing and sending for you.”

http://www.applevis.com/ios-app-directory/lifestyle/cards

+++ Tips & Tidbits from the Food Lady
I know it is October and the season of scrumptious food is just around the
corner, but I have been working on eating better for my own health as well
as Hungry’s. (For those of you that do not know, Hungry is my husband’s nick
name). We are both overweight by a couple decades of pounds and are both
trying to shed some of that unwanted weight.
My only real health concern at present is my elevated blood pressure, which
is now being controlled very well with a new medication. The weight gain
seems to be the main reason for this. If I could get my weight down I could
possibly get off my prescriptions.  This has prompted me to research a more
healthy life style and ways to eat well year round.
None of those weight loss fads ever really work. You usually end up gaining
the weight back plus more. It is best to find a way of eating that helps you
lose weight gradually.  Begin an exercise program that you enjoy too.

I have read a few books that give some really good advice for good,
nutritious diets. I list them below along with a recipe from each. The real
important thing is to increase your fruits and vegetables. The less animal
fats you have the better. Lean protein is good, but plant protein is even
better. If you are interested in living a more energetic and healthy life,
you might want to check these out. There are many other books available
through the Talking Book library and Learning Ally too. I like to find books
that are free to download to my computer, phone, or Victor Reader.
Note: I have spelled out measurements to make it easier for all screen
readers and braille notetakers to read them correctly.

++The first book is
Eat to live the revolutionary formula for fast and sustained weight loss by
Joel Fuhrman.
I found it on Learning Ally.
It talks about eating a more vegetarian diet for losing weight and getting
off prescription drugs. I have been trying to follow this one more than the
others, but it can take some commitment to do.
Here is a recipe from this book.
++Recipe starts here:
Talia’s Unmeatballs and Spaghetti
One fourth cup light soymilk
One tablespoon sesame tahini
Chopped garlic, dill, and oregano optional.
One tablespoon vegebase by Vogue (You can find it on Amazon and health food
stores)
One fourth cup whole wheat flour
One half cup oatmeal
One cup TVP (vegetable textured protein)
One fourth walnuts chopped
One cup firm tofu chopped or crumbled
Two onions chopped

Warm the soymilk gently and fold in the tahini to make a sauce. Remove from
heat and add the seasonings and Vegebase. Add the flour and oatmeal and mix
well. Add the remaining ingredients
Mash it altogether and knead the mixture with your hands to form solid ball.
Then form the mixture into small balls and lay them on a nonstick baking
tray.
 Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
Serve over baked spaghetti squash or lentil bean pasta with plenty of fat
free tomato sauce.
You can make your own fat free, salt free tomato sauce by gently heating in
a pot fresh or canned tomatoes, crushed garlic, chopped onions, chopped
scallions, and two tablespoons of salt free Italian seasonings, one teaspoon
of lemon juice, and one teaspoon of wine vinegar.

++The second book from the Talking Book library:
“The New American Plate Cookbook: Recipes for a Healthy Weight and a Healthy
Life
 American Inst. for Cancer Research. Read by Dan Willems. Reading time 15
hours 13 minutes.
 Cooking
Team of experts from the American Institute for Cancer Research provides
guidelines for healthy meal planning, recommending that each meal contain
approximately two-thirds vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and beans and
one-third animal protein. Includes hundreds of recipes for appetizers,
soups, salads, stews, entrees, vegetables, breads, and desserts. 2005.”
There are a lot of great recipes in this book! Great tips and guidelines for
storing, freezing, and much more.
++Recipe starts here:
Maple Fig Bars
Makes 30 servings
Canola oil spray
One cup chopped dried figs
One half cup packed dark brown sugar
One fourth cup canola oil
One half cup maple syrup
One large egg
Two large egg whites
One half cup unsweetened applesauce
One half cup whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat flour. Preferably stone
ground.
One and one half cups unbleached all purpose flour
Three fourths teaspoon baking powder
Three fourths teaspoon baking soda
One fourth teaspoon salt

Icing:
One half cup powdered sugar
One tablespoon maple syrup
One half teaspoon maple flavoring optional
One to two teaspoons water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly coat a 13 x 9 baking dish with canola oil spray.
In a small bowl, Wisk together the dried figs, brown sugar, canola oil, one
half cup maple syrup, egg, egg whites, and applesauce.
In a medium bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour,
baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Add the wet ingredients and blend just until combined.
Spread the batter in the prepared baking dish.
Bake for 30 minutes until light brown and springy to the touch in the
center.
Cool in the pan on a wire rack for one hour.
In a small bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, one tablespoon of maple
syrup, maple flavoring, and one teaspoon of the water. Use more water, if
necessary, to allow icing to drizzle easily from a spoon. Lightly drizzle
the icing over the cooled cake and cut into bars.  Serve.
The bars may be stored in a tightly covered container for two to three days.

++Third book from The Talking Book library:
“Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy
Eating
Willett, Walter C. Read by Gary Tipton. Reading time 17 hours 51 minutes.
Medicine and Health
Harvard Medical School professor challenges the USDA food pyramid while
explaining his and other scientists' research on the long-term effects of
diet on health. Whole grains, healthy oils, fruits, vegetables, good sources
of protein, and a multivitamin are among his recommendations. Stresses
weight control and exercise. Includes recipes. 2001.”

This book gives a lot of great information for achieving a healthy diet
packed with nutrition and correct proportions.

++Recipe starts here:
Blackberry Banana Smoothie
Two cups frozen unsweetened blackberries
One large banana peeled and cut into four sections
One cup vanilla soymilk
One half cup apple juice
One half cup soft reduced fat silk tofu

Place all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and process
until smooth.
Pour into chilled glasses and serve.
Note: Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
 Be sure to use silken style tofu.
Yield: two and one half cups.

Enjoy your health!
Food Lady

+++Blind Man Walking
By Joshua Loya
You can listen to an interview with Joshua:
ViewPoints 1229 Martial Arts for the Blind
posted 7-18-12
www.viewpointsplus.net/vp_1229_podcast.mp3
Halloween is soon here. Halloween is my favorite holiday next to Christmas.
As a kid, I always enjoyed dressing up as something different, and I still
do. Over the years I have been a mummy, a vampire, a ninja turtle, a knight,
Uncle Fester from The Adams Family, a mobster, Han Solo, a werewolf, and a
zombie. There is something unique and powerful about pretending to be
something or someone else or assuming another persona. It can be used for
more than just fun and celebration, though.

A little over two years ago, I had the privilege of meeting Master Stephen
K. Hayes, the founder of To-Shin Do Kasumi-An Ninja Martial Arts. Master
Hayes was one of the first Westerners to train with ninja in Japan in the
1970s. He regularly travels to the Far East to train with what he describes
as “Tibetan dagger monks”. He compares them to the ninja in the first part
of Batman Begins, “…only they’re the good guys”.

This might come as a shock to some of you, but I’m not always the way I want
to be. I make mistakes and sometimes speak too harshly to those close to me.
Despite my over seven years of martial arts training, I still run into poles
or hit my head on open cupboards. Sometimes I meet difficult people on
public transit, right before I need to teach class at the dojo. In
situations like this, I often put on a persona, so I can be the way I want
to be.

The persona that is most powerful for me is a dagger monk, customized to my
personal values and aspirations. I am not a Buddhist, and my only real-life
point of reference for a dagger monk is Master Hayes. That said, based on my
two meetings with Master Hayes, it is clear that I can learn much about
cultivating the discipline and gentle spirit I desire from Master Hayes’s
example.

What I do is this. I imagine, as vividly as possible, the dagger monk
standing in front of me facing the same direction I am with his back to me.
I imagine what he looks like, what he thinks, what clothes he is wearing,
the expression he is wearing, his background and history, and any other
details that help me to imagine him more fully. Then, I imagine stepping
into him, allowing his essence to completely surround me, until I become the
dagger monk. Then, I wear the costume of the dagger monk and conduct myself,
as much as possible, the way I believe the dagger monk would handle himself
in the situation I am in at that point in time. This is sometimes a very
difficult thing to do, so I will often imagine the dagger monk mentoring me,
talking me through a situation, so that I can act the way I will be most
proud of in the future.

I invite you to play with this. Craft a role model or a persona that you can
pretend being. You may have multiple personas you use for different things.
You might have one for work, and another for being the ideal parent.
Eventually, you may find that you naturally conduct yourself the way you
want to, through the use of your personas. At that point, you can set aside
or modify your personas to help you improve on something else. If you feel
more comfortable imagining a mentor rather than a persona you become, do
that. This is a tool to help you have that extra boost. It can be customized
by and for each person using it. If you use it, I’d love to hear what
results you have. Please email or message me on Twitter to relay your
results.

Joshua Loya Is a musician, martial artist, and NLP Master Practitioner
living near the San Diego California area. You can learn more about him by
visiting his web site,
http://www.servantwarrioronline.com/
or following him on Twitter:
www.twitter.com/ServantWarrior
 You may also email him,
jloya29 at gmail.com.

++ Links of Interest
Please check in with Blind Access training for our latest updates and
available training opertunities here:
http://www.blindaccesstraining.com/training_opportunities/#main

AppleVis
A community-powered website for blind and vision-impaired users of Apple
devices.

http://www.applevis.com/

Food Lady & Hungry love playing Tag and other accessible games at:

http://allinplay.com/play_for_free.php?referrer=15267&reftype=RAF

New Visions Network, Bible studies, games with chat:

http://www.talkingcommunities.com/communities/NewVisionsNetwork/indexcompany/

Meet other blind friends at For The People .com:

http://for-the-people.com/homepage.php?promo=ftp%20singles%20promo.mp3

Bill Brown's Music by Ear homepage

http://www.musicvi.com/

Disabled Christian News

http://dcn.christian.net

for spine chilling old time radio free for the blind, visually impaired and
disabled.

http://fearyoucanhear.com/

Purchase a wonderful E-book about applying for, obtaining or owning a guide
dog, along with other great articles and information, at:

http://guidedogmanual.weebly.com

One of Food Lady’s favorite places to shop for health food and supplements:

http://www.vitacost.com

Gianfranco Di Cosmo's Home Page

http://dicosmo.ifreepages.com/

Food Lady loves studying the Bible here:
Talks for Growing Christians: Daily Devotions with audio and study guides

http://www.growingchristians.org/rfgc/index.html

Build your own E-commerce website easily:

http://www.siterightnow.com/214.html

Create newsletters using an accessible Email server:

http://www.ymlp270.net?a=46N68Z

Dress up a room with a Scentsy Warmer, add one of 80-plus fragrances, and
enjoy! Shop here for all the latest styles and scents:
http://www.warmupscents.com

Play games for free at:
http://www.rsgames.org/

+++ Posting an Ad
Posting ads & announcements to The blind Post
Ads and announcements can now be posted anytime, for 30 days, on
theblindpost.com!
They will also be posted in the following month’s newsletter, emailed to all
current subscribers around the 5th to the 7th of that month.

Your first one, of 50 words or less is free, and each additional ad or
announcement, submitted within the same 30 days, is $5.
Phone numbers, Email addresses, and website addresses count as one word
each.
Ads over 50 words and less than 125, are $5.00.
Ads or announcements that are 125 words to 225 words are $10.00.
Over 225 to 300 words are $15, and 300 to 450 are $20.
If you would like to have a long-term ad posted on the website and mentioned
in the monthly newsletter, contact me to arrange a sponsorship price.

Mailto:foodlady at theblindpost.com

The same day you send me your ad or announcement, upon approval, I will post
it to the website.
The 30 days for your ad or announcement starts from the day it is posted to
the website.

If you have a picture of an item you are selling, attach it to an Email with
your ad and I will post that along with your ad.
If you are attaching a picture to your first free ad, this would change the
price from free to $5.
An additional $2.50 would be added to the price of longer ads or
announcements, for a picture to be included.

All links of interest that you send me are posted for free upon approval.
All ads: for sale, wanted, services, business
opportunities, announcements, links of interest, and any other submissions
will be posted as soon after they are submitted, via E-mail, and approved by
the editor.
I will contact you with any questions about your ad, if it does not meet any
of the requirements or if I need to change anything, prior to posting it on
the site.

Please Email me at:
Mailto:foodlady at theblindpost.com
With your post exactly how you would like it
printed under a phrase saying Ad starts here:

Then, go to PayPal
http://www.paypal.com

And under the link “Send money” you can pay for the ad using:
foodlady at theblindpost.com

• You can now go to the website and purchase your ads using PayPal, a credit
card, or a debit card!
You do not need a Paypal account to use your debit card or credit card on
the website.
http://theblindpost.com/Postpurchaseanadorannouncement.html

If you need to send me a check to pay for your ad, you will need to contact
me to get my mailing address.

If you would rather pay for your ad over the phone, send me an email with
your name and number along wwith the best time to call you.

+++WHAT CAN YOU post on The Blind Post
*All ads that pertain to products or services for blind and visually
impaired persons, either by blind individuals or by companies or
organizations serving the blind and low vision community.
*Also any new and used items that blind and low vision individuals have to
sell.
* Wanted, if you are looking for a particular item, information, or service.
*Any business opportunities that are offered by other blind or low vision
persons.
* Any announcements pertaining to the blind or low vision community.
* Any articles a blind person would like to share about a nonprofit venture
or an entertainment event featuring that blind individual.

So if you have an item to sell, a want, a service, a business opportunity,
announcement, article, or an event, please send me your ads today!
The editor reserves the right to decide if an announcement or ad, of any
kind, is suitable for The Blind Post.
 Ads posted are not necessarily the beliefs or opinions of the editor or The
Blind Post. Make sure your contact information is correct for each post you
submit.

+++ Subscriptions
Subscribing to The Blind Post is free so spread the word to all your
friends!
Just send me an Email message with ”subscribe to the Blind Post” in the
subject line:

Mailto:foodlady at theblindpost.com

And if you wish to unsubscribe send me an Email message with “unsubscribe
from the Blind Post” in the subject line to the above Email address, or see
below for a safe way to unsubscribe.
Thanks everyone for making The blind Post a great place to share and sell!
Please forward to all of your friends and encourage them to subscribe.

Lori AKA Food Lady