[nfbmi-talk] Minutes, August 8 2013 National Federation of the Blind of Michigan Board Meeting

trising at sbcglobal.net trising at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 19 14:34:10 UTC 2013

Minutes, August 8 2013 National Federation of the Blind of Michigan Board Meeting
Quorum yes Larry Posont, Joe Sontag, Terri Wilcox, Mark Eagle, Nick Wilcox and Dave Robinson.
Secretary's Report, Terri Wilcox. Dave Robinson moved to adopt the Secretary's Report. Mark Eagle seconded the motion. The Minutes
were approved.
Treasurer's Report, Mark Eagle. There was no change in the Treasury. The deposit for Science Camp was received back from
Opportunities Unlimited for the Blind. We have spent $5,000 for Braille Camp so far. Mark Eagle will get an itemized bill with
specific questions answered. Braille Camp is not completely paid for yet. The rest of the bill will be coming. Terri Wilcox moved to
adopt the Treasurer's Report. Dave seconded the motion. The Treasurer's Report was approved.
Introduction of Participating Members
President's Report, Larry Posont. Larry Posont is still trying to gather data. There was another conference call about moving
rehabilitation from the Department of Education to the Department of Labor. Under Section 511, it is  permissible for the subminimum
wage to be an acceptable outcome for clients in rehabilitation.
Moving The Rehabilitation Services Administration from The Department of Education to the Department of Labor will lead to paper job
placements rather than real jobs that maximize potential. A Senate Committee is the next step for this Legislation. Hopefully
Senators amend the Legislation on the floor of the Senate. Rob Essenberg was hired to head franchises at the State Capitol. His
position is equal to Mike Pemble at level 17. He will train people and run the franchises at the State Capitol. Two people are named
under him. He is heading a new division in state government. Joe Sontag will attend the Michigan Rehabilitation Services meeting by
phone.
Camp T Update. An email will be sent to Gwen about what will happen with Camp Tuhsmeheta next year.
State Convention Update. State Convention will be in Grand Rapids. The Banquet cost $35 if you have Preregistered and $40 at the
door. Registration is $15 or $20 at the door. Larry Posont has asked Dr. Maurer the identity of our National Representative.
August 17 Board Meeting in Grand Rapids. Agenda items are needed. Lunch will be $7.00. The meeting begins at 10:00 and ends at 3:30,
in time for the Grand Rapids Chapter to have their second meeting. We can register for State Convention on the website after next
week. We can also make reservations at the hotel for State Convention at any time. The website  is almost ready to go live at any
minute. Preregistration is almost ready. In total, Newsline will cost $112,000. Newsline costs 52,000 for all of the papers we have
currently available, plus $40,000 for advertising, plus 20,000 for 2 new newspapers. One would come from Traverse City and one would
be from Kalamazoo. There will be a deadline after which Newsline will be shut down.
Terri Wilcox moved to Adjourn at 9:30. Nick Wilcox seconded the motion. The motion was approved and the meeting Adjourned.