[nfbmi-talk] cap third quarter report

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Fri Aug 8 19:46:18 UTC 2014

Michigan Protection &Advocacy Service, Inc.

Employment Team Report

Third Quarter

(April 1, 2014 – June 30, 2014)

The Employment Team at Michigan Protection and Advocacy Service, Inc. (MPAS) provides information, referral and advocacy services to applicants, clients and others eligible for vocational rehabilitation programs funded under the Rehabilitation Act.  We also provide training on our services and information to clients on their rights under the Rehabilitation Act and Title I of the ADA.  Our funding streams to provide these services include the following grants:  Client Assistance Program (CAP), Protection & Advocacy for Assistive Technology (PAAT), and Protection & Advocacy for Traumatic Brain Injury (PATBI).

Employment Team Staff:  Brian Sabourin, Director of Employment Services, Elham Jahshan, Advocate; Charlie Rose, Advocate; and Leslie Mundt, Program Assistant.

Case Statistics:

      Information & Referral Only

      Closed Service Requests = 40

      Case Level Services

      Closed Service Requests = 20

      Related to Michigan Rehabilitation Service (MRS)                                       20

      Related to Bureau of Services for Blind Persons (BSBP)                                0

      Related to Centers for Independent Living (CIL)                                            0

Problems Identified (MRS/BSBP/CIL):

      Communication problems between counselor and individual
     5

      Related to IPE development and/or implementation.
     1

      Conflicts about services to be provided.
     9

      Related to application and/or eligibility process
     3

      Other issues related to Rehab. Act
     2

Michigan Protection &Advocacy Service, Inc.

Employment Team Report

Third Quarter FY 2013/14

Page 2

Primary Disability Reported by Individual (MRS/BSBP/CIL):

      Hard of Hearing
     1
     Neurological Disorders/Impairments
     2

      Deafness
     1
     Ortho/Physical Impairments
     3

      Heart/Circulatory

     Specific Learning Disabilities
     3

      Mental Illness
     6
     Substance Abuse
     1

      Mental Retardation

     Brain Injury
     1

      Blindness

     Auto Immune/HIV

      Visual Impairment

     Emotional Impairments
     1

      Autism

     Respiratory
     1

      Speech Impairment

Below is a breakdown, by office, of the case level calls we received during this quarter.  Case level services would mean that someone from the Employment Team called MRS/BSBP/CIL to try to resolve a complaint.  The numbers reported are only those that were closed during that quarter.

Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS)

      Adrian
     1
     Detroit Porter

     Mt. Pleasant

      Alpena

     Flint
     1
     Muskegon

      Ann Arbor
     1
     Gaylord

     Oak Park

      Battle Creek

     Grand Rapids
     1
     Pontiac
     1

      Bay City

     Hamtramck
     2
     Port Huron
     1

      Benton Harbor
     1
     Holland

     Roseville

      Big Rapids

     Jackson

     Saginaw

      Caro

     Kalamazoo

     Taylor
     1

      Clinton Township
     1
     Lansing

     Traverse City

      Detroit Fort
     1
     Livonia

     Wayne

      Detroit Grand River
     2
     Marquette
     2
     MCTI

      Detroit Mack
     1
     Midland

     Port Huron
     1

      Detroit Milwaukee
     1
     Monroe
     1

Bureau of Services for Blind Persons (BSBP):  0

Centers for Independent Living (CILs):            0

Michigan Protection &Advocacy Service, Inc.

Employment Team Report

Third  Quarter FY 2013/14

Page 3

Quarterly Activities:

Michigan Rehabilitation Service

CAP worked very closely with MRS in the development of their FY 15 State Plan.

CAP staff provided an outreach presentation for the staff at the the Flint MRS office.

Bureau of Services for Blind Persons

CAP worked very closely with BSBP in the development of their FY 15 State Plan.

Center for Independent Living

CAP Representative attended an open house at CACIL for their new executive director, Mark Pierce.