[nfbmi-talk] MI Administrative Rules for Special Education (MARSE)Proposed Revisions

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Wed Feb 26 13:21:20 UTC 2014

Excellent highlights right here Amy and all, especially for us on the
critical teacher shortage of VI, TCBVI, and other supports for blind
students....
Say NO to these special education rule revisions .

× Giving local control to Intermediate School Districts (ISD) and school
districts to determine special education staffing annually based upon the
number
of students will explode special education staff caseloads.

× Removing all transparency from the ISD "alternate special education plan."
MI ISDs have authority to override all special education programs, program
sizes, teacher caseloads and student age spans, and create their own.  The
MI DOE is now proposing to remove all transparency and only require that the
ISD keeps a copy of this "alternate plan" on file.

× Requiring parents to initiate consent for special education prior to
convening an Individualized Education Program (IEP) team is incongruent with
the
IDEA 300.306 and devalues the important role that parents play in
determining eligibility and services

× Establishing that a student will only be a student with a disability until
the high school credits necessary for a diploma are earned and then a
district
can unceremoniously exit the student and with no concern for the student's
preparedness for post-secondary education and employability.

× Requiring paraprofessionals to have only a high school diploma. Ensuring
the lowest level of qualifications for staff who provide direct instruction
in
reading, written expression and mathematics.

× Narrowing the criteria to determine if a student is eligible under an
Autism Spectrum Disorder. This will eliminate students on the ASD spectrum
needing
specialized instruction and related services.

× Eliminating short term objectives for all students. This removes
accountable and measurable progress.

× Removing the 'multidisciplinary evaluation team" and new limitations on
the education personnel responsible for evaluating students in thirteen
areas
of eligibility.

× Watering down requirements for Hearing Impairment and Visual Impairment
teachers due to the critical shortage. So students will be short-changed.

× Allowing physician assistants (bachelor's degree and do not specialize in
pediatric evaluations for disabilities) to be on the evaluation team to
determine
a Physical Impairment (PI), Other Health Impairment (OHI), Traumatic Brain
Injury (TBI) and Deaf-Blind.

× Requiring only a psychiatrist, psychologist and social worker in
determining a student's eligibility for an Emotional Impairment How do you
"rule out
a learning disability" when no achievement testing or cognitive battery is
conducted?

Contrary to MI DOE's assertion, these proposed revisions have nothing to do
with "improving student outcomes." Rather, they will allow the state of
Michigan,
its ISDs and LEAs to balance their budgets on the backs of students with
disabilities.

Eliminating the state-imposed special education rules that govern teacher
caseloads, special education programs, program sizes and student age spans
will
not improve outcomes.

QUESTIONS? Contact MarcieLipsitt at outlook.com