[nfbmi-talk] mpas minutes

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Wed Jul 2 14:53:01 UTC 2014

MICHIGAN PROTECTION AND ADVOCACY SERVICE, INC.

BOARD OF DIRECTOR=S MEETING

February 25, 2014

Directors Present: Kate Wolters, 1st Vice President, Tom Landry, 2nd Vice President, Mark Lezotte, Treasurer, Jane Shank, Secretary, Pam Bellamy, Ron Bush, Donna DePalma, Terri Lynn Land, Selena Schmidt

Directors Absent: Michelle Huerta, John McCulloch, Kathy McGeathy, Veda Sharp, Stoney Polman

Staff Present: Elmer Cerano, Michele XXX, Camilia XXX, Chris XXXX, Mark XXX, Brad XXX, Brian XXXX, Ashley XXX, Kyle XXXX

Guests: Jill Busha, PAIMI Council

I.  Call to Order

The meeting of the MPAS Board of Directors was called to order by President, Kate Wolters.

II. Introductions

Introductions were made.

III. Agenda

The agenda was presented for review.

MOTION BY Ron Bush TO APPROVE THE AGENDA AS AMENDED.   SECOND BY Tom Landry. MOTION PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.

IV. Minutes

The Board reviewed the minutes of December 17, 2013.

MOTION BY Terri Land TO APPROVE THE MINUTES AS SUBMITTED. Tom Landry noted that he was in attendance at the December meeting.  SECOND BY Tom Landry. MOTION PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.

Kate thanked everyone for the help with the luncheon.

Presentation of Awards

Kate Wolters reviewed the background of the essay contest and vision of Ernie Reynolds. Mr. Reynolds passed away and it was agreed by the board to rename the contest in his honor.

The Essay Committee was Kate Wolters, Tom Landry, Pam Bellamy and Donna DePalma. Members expressed their gratitude of being able to be a part of the committee and that all the essays were great.

Kate presented the awards

3rd place – Beverly Davis

2nd place – Reginald Boerger

1st place – Dawn Reid

President’s Report

Ms. Wolters asked Mr. Cerano to report on the Proposed Policy Guidance Related to Availability of MPAS Public Information.  Mr. Cerano reported that we have had a consumer requesting volumes of agency information, both public and private.  Information has been sent to him via e-mail and has also been posted on the website. It appears some documents were unable to be opened by the individual.

After discussion with agency staff, Mark XXX and Mark XXXX regarding this type or request, they suggested that the agency have a board policy that clarifies what should be disclosed.

Elmer reviewed the proposed language (see handout).

Kate Wolters asked if we should reference FOIA if we are not subject to FOIA.

Tom Landry asked what the definition of large is and that it needs to be quantified.

Mark Lezotee suggested a policy stating that public documents will be posted on the website and when individuals ask for them we provide them with assistance in directing them to the website to get what they need. If and only if they cannot get the documents off the web, we will investigate alternative ways to make the documents accessible.

Kate Wolters asked if the board would be willing to approve a concept. Mark Lezotte asked that staff come up with a concept. Elmer Cerano will work with Mark XXX.

MOTION BY Tom Landry TO HAVE THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE REVIEW THE PROPOSAL AND APPROVE. SECOND BY MARK LEZOTTE.

Ron Bush asked why we should let the Executive Committee vote on this policy as opposed to bringing it back to the next board meeting and if there is a sense of urgency? Elmer Cerano stated to it would help us with the individual’s request we are working on and getting the information together. The advice we got from our attorneys is to do it prospective not retrospective.  We will respond to the current request.

MOTION PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.

Elmer Cerano distributed a revised board conflict of interest statement. Mr. Cerano stated that conflicts of interests are inevitable.  When you have board members that are involved with issues you are going to have issues that may create a conflict of interest, which is okay as long as it is divulged. The change is conflicts that are real, perceived or potential.

Elmer asked board to review and complete the form.

Kate Wolters asked if that would include if you are a business owner and MPAS may purchase services or goods. Elmer stated it may be but as long as it is divulged and documented.

Executive Report

Elmer Cerano reported that at the last meeting we had staff come and talk about cases. We will continue that at the next meeting.

Mr. Cerano reported that the Annual Report has been printed. Veda Sharp’s name was omitted in error, but will be corrected.

Financially, the agency is doing well.

Chris XXX and Doug Olsen, PAIMI Council member, went to D.C. to educate the Michigan delegation on issues surrounding the Murphy Bill. The bill is going to committees that are chaired by key Michigan

Mark XXX introduced new staff - Kyle XXXX, attorney who replaced Nicole XXX. Brian XXXX reported that Charlie XXX started with the Employment team in November.

Ron Bush would like to see people who reflect the people we serve when we have new staff positions open up. He would like to see the agency reach out to qualified individuals who have disabilities and racial diversity.

Michele XXXX offered to send out to the board the report that is sent to the government noting disabilities and diversity.

Public Comment – None

Committee Reports

Audit Committee

Tom Landry reported for the Committee.  At the last board meeting we elected to contact Plante & Moran to see if we could extend their contract for another two years. They would not agree to match the $25,000. Their billing rate would be $45,000 and could discount to approximately $34,000 but would not go lower than that.  The Committee will let them know that the recommendation to the board would be to bid out the audit for a five year period and that we would not pay the additional $9,000. Kate Wolters asked where we are at on the process.  Tom Landry asked that the Audit Committee work with staff to interview the firms. He asked that if any board members want to make a recommendation to have them in by March 7th.  Mr. Landry asked that the Audit Committee make a recommendation to the Executive Committee.

Tom Landry would like to make a dual motion that the Executive Committee go out for bids and two, the Executive Committee be empowered to make the selection prior to the next board meeting.

MOTION BY Ron Bush THAT THE ORGANIZATION SOLICITS REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS FOR THE AUDIT FOR THE NEXT 5 YRS. SECOND BY Terri Land. MOTION PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.

MOTION BY Ron Bush THAT THE AUDIT COMMITTEE MAKE A RECOMMENDATION TO THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE ON THE SELECTION OF OUR AUDIT FOR ENGAGEMENT.

TOM LANDRY MODIFIED TO SAY THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE WOULD BE EMPOWERED TO ACT UPON THE RECOMMENDATION OF THE AUDIT COMMITTEE. SECOND BY Mark Lezotte.

Mark Lezotte stated that the Audit Committee will ask staff to do the RFP. Lezotte asked if the Committee is holding a conference call to discuss the RFPs that they invite other board members not on the committee to participate on the call.

Tom Landry asked if anyone who wants to serve on the Audit Committee please let us know.

MOTION PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.

Michele XXX stated that if any members know of any auditors they would like an RFP sent to, please forward to her.

Budget & Finance Committee

Mark Lezotte reported for the Committee.  The budget reports enclosed are for the first quarter of the fiscal year. Three of the Department of Education grants are coming in at a level above what was budgeted for. To date the agency is off in total revenue but have managed expenses accordingly. The PAIR program is over budget to date and will probably remain over budget. The grant will get some partial relief from the grants coming in.

The Committee discussed the use of non-restricted money for Chris XXX and Doug Olsen’s trip to D.C. The concern is of definition on what is lobbying and the rules are not clear.  The agency will be tracking the funding of staff trips to D.C. to educate delegation and make sure we have identified a source of funds that are unrestricted.

We want to be able to say in all good conscious that to the extent we are perceived as lobbying the federal government, it will be with money that is raised independently and not with money received from federal dollars.

Public Policy

Chris XXXX thanked all for their participation in the legislative luncheon and the great turnout of legislators.

Mr. XXX thanked Doug Olsen, PAIMI Council member, for his participation in Hill visits educating legislators regarding the Murphy Bill.  Mr. Olsen reported on the visits.

Ron Bush asked if it is our position that we want individuals to vote against the bill. Mr. XXX stated it is NDRN’s position to kill the bill. The Bill is trying to address real issues that everyone agrees are issues. It should be used as an opportunity to understand the PAIMI program specifically. Want to concentrate on taking the beneficial language from the bill and combine into a more comprehensive bill.

Donna DePalma asked that for future meetings an information agenda be sent out more in advance and a conference call be set up so the members are better prepared on the topics being presented to the Legislators.

Board members reported out on their contacts made at today’s legislative luncheon.

PAIMI Council

Selena reported for the Council. The Council met this morning and spent time talking about Murphy bill and how it will affect the population that we are representing.  Discussion took place regarding advanced directives and how to get the information out there.  There is a concern with Healthy Michigan and indigent population when it goes into effect.

Ron Bush asked what impact the ACA will have on health care costs.  Michele XXX stated that the agency plan was modified in December to lock in previous rates. We will find out December 2014 what the effects will be.  Currently we have a plan that is not allowable through the ACA.

Ron Bush stated that the elections will be here soon. Mr. Bush is concerned that there is only six months until elections and does not want the agency to come back after the elections reporting there are still inaccessible sites.

Terri Land suggested MPAS set up a meeting with Secretary Johnson to see where they are at regarding accessibility.  Chris XXX reported that every three months the agency meets with the Bureau of Elections and concentrate on the Detroit area.

Ron Bush would like to see the agency to put together a fundraising dinner and recognize individuals and raise revenue to offset some challenges with advocacy.  Mr. Cerano stated that we could use more unrestricted dollars but it is more effective for us to do more rep payee visits to bring in unrestricted dollars instead of a dinner. We cannot charge any related costs of a dinner to a grant. It would have to be done using fundraising dollars.

Ms. Wolters stated if fundraising for MPAS, “tell me what you want to fund raise for.” MPAS is not an organization that needs to raise money to exist.

Next Meeting

Mark Lezotte asked what the times of the upcoming meetings will be.  It was agreed that meetings will be from 10:00-12:00 noon.

Meeting adjourned at 3:15.