[nfbmi-talk] Fw: [Nfbnet-members-list] FW: National Federation of the Blind Postpones Planned Protest Tomorrow: New York City Schools Panel Cancels Vote on Amazon Deal

Joe Sontag suncat0 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 03:43:14 UTC 2015

This is often what happens when an organization agrees and decides on a plan of action and  actually does it. Good to see you're in it for the long haul too, Larry.
: Postpones Planned Protest Tomorrow: New York City Schools Panel Cancels Vote
: on Amazon Deal
:
:
:
: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
:
: CONTACT:
: Chris Danielsen
: Director of Public Relations
: National Federation of the Blind
: (410) 659-9314, extension 2330
: (410) 262-1281 (Cell)
: cdanielsen at nfb.org
:
:
:
: National Federation of the Blind Postpones Planned Protest Tomorrow
:
:
:
: New York City Schools Panel Cancels Vote on Amazon Deal
:
: Baltimore, Maryland (August 25, 2015): The National Federation of the Blind
: (NFB), the nation?s leading advocate for equal education for blind students,
: commented today on a proposed $30 million contract under which Amazon, Inc.
: would construct an electronic storefront for New York City schools and
: become the primary provider of educational materials for students. The NFB
: planned to protest the deal before a meeting of the school system?s Panel
: for Educational Policy tomorrow, but will not go forward with the protest
: because the panel has canceled the vote on the proposal in order to
: investigate NFB?s concerns.
:
: Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
: ?The National Federation of the Blind is firmly committed to the principle
: that blind students must have equal access to the materials used by their
: sighted peers if they are to receive an equal education and live the lives
: they want. That is why we have expressed our strong opposition to the deal
: with Amazon as currently proposed. While we stand ready to take any and all
: steps necessary to protect the rights of New York City?s blind students, we
: are now hopeful, in light of the cancellation of tomorrow?s vote on this
: deal, that we can resolve the issue through an amicable and productive
: dialogue with school officials. We continue to urge everyone concerned about
: the rights of students who are blind or who have print disabilities to
: contact Chancellor Carmen Fari?a and let her know that equal access and
: equal education are one and the same.?
:
:
:
: ###
:
:
:
:
: About the National Federation of the Blind
:
:
:
: The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
: characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the
: expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles
: between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want;
: blindness is not what holds you back.
:
:
:
:
:
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
: ----
:
:
: Nfbnet-members-list mailing list
: Nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
: List archives:
: <http://www.nfbnet.org/pipermail/nfbnet-members-list_nfbnet.org>
: To unsubscribe from Nfbnet-members-list:
: goto
: http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbnet-members-list_nfbnet.org/suncat0%40g
: mail.com
: nfbmi-talk mailing list