[nfbmi-talk] State employees mourn blind Lansing man's death

Mark Eagle markaeagle at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 19 18:42:51 UTC 2015

State employees mourn blind Lansing man's death
 Eric Lacy, elacy at lsj.com 2:18 p.m. EDT March 19, 2015
Charles Walter Glime, 31, inspired patrons of Lewis Cass Building's cafeteria
A file image of the Lewis Cass Building in downtown Lansing, where Charles Glime operated the cafeteria. Glime died this week after being struck by a car.(Photo: LSJ file) 28 CONNECT 4 TWEETLINKEDIN 2 COMMENTEMAILMORELANSING –  A 31-year-old blind Lansing resident died Wednesday, but the impact he made at the State of Michigan's Lewis Cass Building won't be forgotten.Charles Walter Glime managed three employees at Cass' full-service cafeteria and was called "Charles of the Cass" because of his drive to give patrons quality food and service, said Sharon Ellis, the state's Americans with Disabilities Act compliance director."Everything he did was great; he was just exemplary," Ellis said. "Not just an outstanding example as an employee, but as a person because he had the attitude 'So what I have a disability? I'm going to accomplish my goals.'"The Lansing Police Department wrote in a press release Thursday that Glime died early Wednesday afternoon from injuries he suffered when he was struck by a vehicle while walking in the area of Walnut and Ionia streets on Tuesday night.Police said the incident took place at approximately 8:30 p.m. and is under investigation.Ellis said Glime lived in an apartment near where he was struck. She said he was a driven entrepreneur who also took business and culinary classes at Lansing Community College."People are just devastated," said Ellis, who had known Glime about four years. "Everybody in the building ate at the cafeteria all the time because he was open all day and did all he could to make it better and better."