[nfbmi-talk] Jordyn Castor in the media

Jordyn Castor jordyn2493 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 05:15:12 UTC 2015

Dear all,

Please understand these are college students writing these articles looking to gain experience as they would like a future career in journalism or broadcasting. So no, they are not going to write perfect articles, but these are definitely way better articles than some I have seen from journalism and broadcasting professionals.

I wanted to educate people on my trip to Jackson Hole as well as let anyone out there with a disability, whose hesitant to ski, know that skiing with a disability is possible for them because of adaptations and specialized equipment. I love spreading awareness and educating people that blind people can live the lives they want with proper training and adaptations; blindness does not have to hold us back from anything. Jackson Hole has probably the most difficult terrain out west for skiers, and is truly and extreme skiing mountain. The most difficult runs in Michigan only register as the second most difficult in Jackson Hole, one of which I skied and it was 3,000 vertical feet.

I also know many sighted people who would never even try skiing, maybe this story will inspire them to do so and maybe it will inspire other blind people to ski, or parents to let their blind child try skiing for the first time. I know for a fact my story has inspired a mother to let her child with multiple disabilities including blindness try skiing with a sit-ski next winter.

Have a good night you guys.
Jordyn