[nfbmi-talk] Public Comment Aeronatics Board and Michigan Department of Transportation

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Wed Mar 23 03:04:35 UTC 2016

Hello Michigan Federationists,,

Thursday morning at 9:00 am the Aeronautics Board and the Michigan
Department of Transportation will hold a 1 hour joint meeting in the
Aeronautics Building at the Lansing Airport..  At the end there will be time
for public comment.  We would like to take this opportunity to educate both
groups about our concerns with the Detroit Airport's treatment of persons
with disabilities and their clear attempt to evade and avoid the ADA and
Section 504 of the Rehab Act by creating segregated bus stops for persons
with disabilities.  The Department of Transportation is already on record
opposing the Airport's change of the bus stop.  They have written a letter,
but they say they do not have jurisdiction to force a change.

Yesterday, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration, which has civil rights
enforcement responsibilities for airports, rather than the Department of
Justice, told lawyers representing the plaintiffs that they would not take a
position on the legality of the bus stop plan and would defer the decision
to the Federal Judge.  This is a victory, since the airport claimed that the
FAA approved of the plan.  There are also changes in the list of groups of
persons with disabilities that supposedly supported the plan.  It appears
that support from these groups is crumbling.

So, our efforts our tenacity, our knowledgeable and articulate comments are
making a difference.  I hear, nearly every day, how impressed folks are with
all of you who have made comments.  So, let's keep up the effort and come to
the meeting Thursday morning and let the Aeronautics Board know how we feel.

Thank you all for your steadfast efforts.  Please let me know if you need
assistance getting to the meeting.

Warmest Regards,

Fred