[nFBMI-Talk] Senator Duckworth on mission to overcome obstacles

christine Boone christineboone2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 15:55:02 UTC 2018

Thanks for sharing this Terry. My son Edward, who is a moderate conservative
like me, has tremendous respect for Senator Duckworth. Edward spent a year
in Afghanistan, and now serves as a reservist working in Army Special
Intelligence. I also like much of what Senator Duckworth represents. If more
members of the democrat party were like this intrepid courageous woman, I
would probably still be a democrat, as I was for the first 25 years of my
voting life!

Hat's off to Senator Duckworth--and now let's all go pound on our state's
U.S. Senators to vote NO on the Senate version of H.R. 620, the ADA
Education and Reform Act.

Christine

Democrat is
> adding a new one: educating the tradition-bound Senate on creating a
> workplace that makes room for new moms.
>

> "She's been through things that you and I will probably never understand.
So
> I'm sure for her (having a baby) is in no way daunting," said Rep. Jaime
> Herrera Beutler, R-Wash., who had two children while serving in Congress.
> "She's also someone who's had a whole career in a male-dominated world."
>

> Duckworth, who turns 50 in March, says she appreciates the historic nature
> of her baby's birth, as well as the fact that she represents working
mothers

> and women having babies later in life. She fully expects to have to find a
> place to nurse in some quiet parlor off the Senate floor.
>

> But she says having a baby, a second daughter, is just one of many stops
on
> the trail ahead.
>

> "This is the last job that I want," Duckworth said of the Illinois Senate
seat
> once held by Barack Obama. The former president is one of several men she
> ticks off as mentors and role models. They include Sen. Dick Durbin,
D-Ill.,